Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mircade: An Arcade-Style Ubuntu Game Launcher Using Mir

Phoronix: Mircade: An Arcade-Style Ubuntu Game Launcher Using Mir

Canonical developer Alan Griffiths who has long been involved in the development of the Mir display server for Ubuntu has now announced Mircade...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A worse version of Steam?

Just what we needed.

Comment

I'm trying to think of something more useless/less exciting than this. Nothing comes to mind so far.

Comment

>A worse version of Steam? Just what we needed.

>I'm trying to think of something more useless/less exciting than this. Nothing comes to mind so far.

Considering this is just a proof of concept use of the Miral-Kiosk layer and not meant to use actually used, its not really meant to be exciting. Please read, reading is good for you.

Comment

Waiting for Canonical to stop wasting time and complicating life for everybody. Let them make Mir a Wayland compositor, and call it a day.

Comment

So Ubuntu specific then? Needs a Wayland port as every other distro are eventually going the Wayland route, including Ubuntu-based distros not using Unity. Or maybe we need a MirWayland layer like we have XWayland.

Comment

Is it possible that Canonical is still going in the mir direction for phones, so they can then sell off that side of the business? I mean, I see almost zero attention to mir on the desktop.
              Last edited by chimpy; 31 January 2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Waiting for Canonical to stop wasting time and complicating life for everybody. Let them make Mir a Wayland compositor, and call it a day.
                Ubuntu is their OS, they can do with it what they want, not different from Apple doing with OS X what they want, as long as they maintain the support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ubuntu is their OS, they can do with it what they want, not different from Apple doing with OS X what they want, as long as they maintain the support for it.
                  Which is still complicating life for everybody. Instead of "doing whatever they want", they can collaborate. But I guess your comparison with MacOS was warranted. Apple are notorious for nonsensical NIH syndrome. So Canonical took an example from their book in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                    Is it possible that Canonical is still going in the mir direction for phones, so they can then sell off that side of the business? I mean I see almost zero attention to mir on the desktop.
                    Work on desktop is going fine, take a look at Popescu Sorin's videos of Unity 8 and Mir on Youtube, it is coming along well, as for Miral Kiosk it is probably intended for IoT and other embedded devices so that Ubuntu Core can have a proper graphical output where it is necessary. As for Mir I believe they are working on making Mir able to run other desktop environments and not just Unity 8, that would mean other distributions could use it if they wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                    X