Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 13.0.4 Released While Waiting For Mesa 17.0

Phoronix: Mesa 13.0.4 Released While Waiting For Mesa 17.0

Mesa 13.0.4 was released today by Collabora's Emil Velikov while the Mesa 17.0 debut is still on track for later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am new to Linux and do not fully understand how graphics drivers work. For example I have a R9 380 and if I use a Ubuntu flavor of the 16.04 or 16.10 what does that mean? Do I get drivers from AMD, Mesa, or are they automatically through the software & updates program? What do I have to do to get my gpu to work at the highest quality possible on Linux? Only GPU intense things I think I do on Linux is play EVE Online, Civ 5, CS GO, and play with Blender. Yet I can't even plug in my 32" Sony TV to get audio from my video card. I some how messed up my install dual boot set up trying to install 16.04 Ubuntu flavor to downgrade to see if I could get the audio to work with amdgpu-pro. I am so sick of this crap. I just want crap to fracking work.

Comment

Originally posted by erasmus_grant View Post
      I am new to Linux and do not fully understand how graphics drivers work. For example I have a R9 380 and if I use a Ubuntu flavor of the 16.04 or 16.10 what does that mean? Do I get drivers from AMD, Mesa, or are they automatically through the software & updates program? What do I have to do to get my gpu to work at the highest quality possible on Linux? Only GPU intense things I think I do on Linux is play EVE Online, Civ 5, CS GO, and play with Blender. Yet I can't even plug in my 32" Sony TV to get audio from my video card. I some how messed up my install dual boot set up trying to install 16.04 Ubuntu flavor to downgrade to see if I could get the audio to work with amdgpu-pro. I am so sick of this crap. I just want crap to fracking work.
      By default you get the open source drivers, and that is handled by the regular software updates in Ubuntu.

I don't think the AMD proprietary drivers work with Ubuntu 16.10, so you are out of luck with those.

What you can do is look for PPAs that update the open source drivers for you. Ubuntu tends to be pretty conservative with the drivers they include and they don't update them to newer versions which means they quickly get out of date. Oibaf and Padoka are pretty common - Oibaf is a bit more conservative, i think, and Padoka pretty cutting-edge. You can also look into updating the linux kernel - that's likely where any bugs with plugging in your tv will be fixed (not saying it's happened yet though). Once you've added the PPA, it will be updated through your normal OS updates just like everything else.

Comment

Working...
      X