Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Installer's 9.0 Stretch RC2 Released

Phoronix: Debian Installer's 9.0 Stretch RC2 Released

The second release candidate to the Debian Installer for the upcoming Debian 9.0 "Stretch" release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool timing, that is point when i start to recommend it for average Joe, as just 3 days before Freeze.

Comment

I wish they had moved to a calamares based installer by now, that would have been quite user friendly.
      Anyways Debian GNU/Linux is easily one of most rock-solid operating systems I have ever used. Long live the project !

Comment

Debian is a great distro for production servers. The only down side is LTS version last only 5 years, which is a little bit short for those really "production" servers.

Comment

Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
          Debian is a great distro for production servers. The only down side is LTS version last only 5 years, which is a little bit short for those really "production" servers.
          When it was 3 years people complained why 3, now when LTS project extending it with +2 to 5, people still complain why 5... I even think that if Debian announce lifetime of user supprot, some turtles will complain why not two lives.. century and half at least would be fine The only down side is that hardware will be dead long before
          Last edited by dungeon; 02 February 2017, 05:28 AM.

Comment

hope we can install the AMD-PRO driver can be now so i can drop ubuntu 16.04 , want Debian to be my OS , ok CentOS is also ok but old softwares somtimes...

Comment

I updated more then one production server from Debian 6 to 7 to 8. Backup and test servers recommended for stunts like this. I'm surprised how little problems show up. Most servers have no problem and the only downtimes are the reboots for the new kernels.
              This makes LTS 5 years a no issue for me.

Comment

If 5 years is too short, that means that you either don't have a big structure, or the server doesn't anything that important.
                Therefore, you can let it be as it is, or the upgrade should be something you need, rather than you are forced to do...

Comment

Dude, go work for some big company, say a bank. Nothing there gets upgraded ever. Try to make some purely technical improvement and get shot down 70% of the time because they'd rather have you making business changes that bring in money. And purely technical improvements have a risk of breaking stuff- so they're mostly seen as risk with little to no benefit.

Look at RHEL support. RHEL5 was released in 2007. Red Hat will provide support until 2020. We're still running that bloody thing over here, and I have no idea whether it will get upgraded or when...

https://access.redhat.com/support/po...fe_Cycle_Dates

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

When it was 3 years people complained why 3, now when LTS project extending it with +2 to 5, people still complain why 5... I even think that if Debian announce lifetime of user supprot, some turtles will complain why not two lives.. century and half at least would be fine The only down side is that hardware will be dead long before

Comment

Debian is communty project, with up to 3 years of support and there is no company behind it... these +2 year of LTS are only because some companies funding it.

Prolonging support is always possible, but prolonging things costs more and more money.

Debian Project will have nothing against if someone donate couple billions $$ so we can prolonging things to say 20 years of support.

Comment

Working...
                    X