Haiku OS Still Working Towards Beta Release, Adds 1360 x 768 Mode Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Still Working Towards Beta Release, Adds 1360 x 768 Mode Support

Phoronix: Haiku OS Still Working Towards Beta Release, Adds 1360 x 768 Mode Support

The folks working on the Haiku operating system that continues striving towards BeOS compatibility is advancing for 2017. While the first alpha of Haiku OS came in 2009, in 2017 they are working towards hopefully getting the beta shipped...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what kind of kernel Haiku use? monolitical, micro-kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
      what kind of kernel Haiku use? monolitical, micro-kernel?
      Last I checked, hybrid. I believe some parts run in userspace, but I know other parts definitely run in kernel space (ie, networking). BeOS r5 and earlier ran networking in userspace and it caused performance issues for them. They were moving to have the network stack in kernel space, and there's a leaked update for BeOS r5 that allows this (BONE I think it was called?). Anyway, that's at least the gist of it. I've been out of the loop for a while.

Comment

About goddamn time.

They've really drug their heels on another release, and it seems at least partially due to how much work it was putting out those alpha releases. The other part is that it seemed like a lot of the devs were scared about where to go from Haiku R1. It seems a lot of the devs had really different directions they wanted to go in after R1 and there was fear of fracture. I haven't talked to any of the devs for a few years (and when I did it was just casual conversation on IRC), so maybe this has been addressed or they realized that they can mostly still work together?

Anyway, I used to donate money regularly to Haiku and stopped because for years they've had a pretty complete and stable OS and it seemed not many features were missing that were preventing at least a beta release while we weren't seeing ANY sort of release. Now that they're talking beta, I may go back to donating money here and there again. I may wait until a beta release just to be sure.

I really enjoyed BeOS back around 1999 or so, and overall Haiku has managed to surpass it (it certainly seems more stable to me), so I hope they continue their good work. Back then, Linux was still my preferred and favored OS, and that's obviously even more true today, but I think having a solid open source OS that's design specifically around the desktop from the very start can only be a good thing!

Comment

The blog link gives me a 404 (?). Google has the post cached though.

Comment

Working...
          X