Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 26 Eyeing A Switch To LVM RAID In The Anaconda Installer

Phoronix: Fedora 26 Eyeing A Switch To LVM RAID In The Anaconda Installer

Currently when setting up a RAID installation from Fedora's Anaconda installer it's using an LVM on top of MD RAID. But with the Fedora 26 release this summer they are looking at using LVM RAID directly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Under this new change proposal whne using LVM partitioning

Comment

Does this means that we can grab 2 random disks during the install process, make a RAID out of them and install on top of it?
      If so, Fedora 26 might be my next distro on my personal server...

Comment

Good for them.

I'm downloading Fedora Workstation as we speak.
        I've just about had it with Canonical/Ubuntu.

The deeper I delve into GTK3/Wayland development, the more stuff breaks (and I'm beginning to think it's on purpose that newer versions of weston are so flaky under Ubuntu). It's also sluggish as hell lately. Despite having plenty of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
          Does this means that we can grab 2 random disks during the install process, make a RAID out of them and install on top of it?
          My question as well although I run Fedora workstation. Good to see the long term strategy.

Comment

Not exactly...

That change means you will be able to "grab two random disks during the install process, make a LVM-RAID out of them, and install on top of that", versus the current situation where you have to "grab two random disks during the install process, make a MD RAID out of them, add that as a PV to LVM, and install on top of that".

Perhaps Fedora could have been the distro in your personal server a long time ago!

Comment

Originally posted by eduperez View Post
              Not exactly...

That change means you will be able to "grab two random disks during the install process, make a LVM-RAID out of them, and install on top of that", versus the current situation where you have to "grab two random disks during the install process, make a MD RAID out of them, add that as a PV to LVM, and install on top of that".

Perhaps Fedora could have been the distro in your personal server a long time ago!
              I guess you're right. Damn...
              Will try with Fedora 25 this weekend

Comment

I guess you're right. Damn...
                Will try with Fedora 25 this weekend
                I do Linux software raid and Fedora is the only distro I've seen that makes this easy to set-up during install.

I take 3 empty disks (2 the same, 1 slightly smaller size) and do custom partitioning. I do a standard partition layout and remove /home. /boot and /boot/efi go on sda, swap on sdb, and the remaining space on all 3 drives goes to a RAID0 /root. I don't think it's particularly too complex, but I like I can do all of that via the GUI installer.

sdb 8:16 0 119.2G 0 disk
                ├─sdb2 8:18 0 111.8G 0 part
                │ └─md127 9:127 0 335.2G 0 raid0 /
                └─sdb1 8:17 0 7.5G 0 part [SWAP]
                sdc 8:32 0 111.8G 0 disk
                └─sdc1 8:33 0 111.8G 0 part
                └─md127 9:127 0 335.2G 0 raid0 /
                sda 8:0 0 119.2G 0 disk
                ├─sda2 8:2 0 1G 0 part /boot
                ├─sda3 8:3 0 111.8G 0 part
                └─sda1 8:1 0 200M 0 part /boot/efi

The only other distros I've tried with software RAID are Ubuntu and Solus. Neither of them offered an easy solution (would have had to mess with mdadm and command-line); was particularly surprised at Ubuntu on this. I hear the server edition of Ubuntu has guided RAID options though.
                Last edited by Guest; 03 February 2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I do Linux software raid and Fedora is the only distro I've seen that makes this easy to set-up during install.

I take 3 empty disks (2 the same, 1 slightly smaller size) and do custom partitioning. I do a standard partition layout and remove /home. /boot and /boot/efi go on sda, swap on sdb, and the remaining space on all 3 drives goes to a RAID0 /root. I don't think it's particularly too complex, but I like I can do all of that via the GUI installer.

sdb 8:16 0 119.2G 0 disk
                  ├─sdb2 8:18 0 111.8G 0 part
                  └─sdb1 8:17 0 7.5G 0 part [SWAP]
                  sdc 8:32 0 111.8G 0 disk
                  └─sdc1 8:33 0 111.8G 0 part
                  └─md127 9:127 0 335.2G 0 raid0 /
                  sda 8:0 0 119.2G 0 disk
                  ├─sda2 8:2 0 1G 0 part /boot
                  ├─sda3 8:3 0 111.8G 0 part
                  └─sda1 8:1 0 200M 0 part /boot/efi

The only other distros I've tried with software RAID are Ubuntu and Solus. Neither of them offered an easy solution (would have had to mess with mdadm and command-line); was particularly surprised at Ubuntu on this. I hear the server edition of Ubuntu has guided RAID options though.
                  This looks harder than i thought.
                  I hope there's some youtube videos about it...

Comment

Working...
                  X