Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Is Now Lighter By 58,000+ Lines Of Code

Phoronix: Mesa Is Now Lighter By 58,000+ Lines Of Code

Waking up this morning, Mesa has been trimmed up by over 58,000 lines of code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now lets hope to see X.Org get lighter by a thousand lines of code too.
    I would like to see a version of X.Org compiled for XWayland use only.

Comment

How about LunarGlass? Is there anything exciting about that or will it follow ILO?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        How about LunarGlass? Is there anything exciting about that or will it follow ILO?
        LunarGLASS was never merged into mainline Mesa, but it is still being developed out-of-tree, will write about it shortly.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

LunarGLASS was never merged into mainline Mesa, but it is still being developed out-of-tree, will write about it shortly.
          Great, thank you Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Now lets hope to see X.Org get lighter by a thousand lines of code too.
            I would like to see a version of X.Org compiled for XWayland use only.
            It will be a good day when distros can not have X installed by default, even better when your daily use packages don't have to bring down the X dependencies too!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It will be a good day when distros can not have X installed by default, even better when your daily use packages don't have to bring down the X dependencies too!
              Yes, unfortunately now some software are dependent on X.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately now some software are dependent on X.[*]Mozilla Firefox[*]Google Chrome (and Chromium)[*]GIMP
                all have gtk3 ports
                [*]The Electron software framework
                don't care

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  all have gtk3 ports

don't care
                  Yes, Firefox is ported to GTK3 and no longer uses GTK2. However, it does still not work on Wayland since it have dependences on X.

Chrome is built with GTK2. It is not built with GTK3.

GIMP is using GTK2. There is an old branch that uses GTK3. They are thinking about skipping GTK3 and going straight to GTK4. Porting to a new GTK isn't happening any time soon, first they are making GIMP 2.10 which will still use GTK2.

Electron uses GTK2 and I consider it rather important that it gets ported to GTK3 as soon as possible, since it is a framework which lots of other applications depend on so until its ported, the dependent applications won't work natively on Wayland.

Comment

Chrome is built with GTK2. It is not built with GTK3.
                    Chromium can be built with gtk3 instead of gtk2 for the desktop build - but probably doesn't make it wayland native either, similar to firefox (they both more or less just use it for some menus or look-alike achieving or whatever); also browsers actually need to do wayland specific things with subsurfaces and other things to keep hardware accelerated stuff working properly with best experience. It also has code for wayland, but I believe it is meant for ChromeOS and might have some limited WM related functionality (maybe fullscreen only?) and not co-exist with X11 support in the same binary like other things do. This at least seemed to be where my research lead, but all the references were over a year old. The codebase also has wayland platform in the GN stuff, but I didn't yet try it out in practice. If anyone has more up to date information or pointers to such, I'd be interested to save my own research time in the future once I get this far in my backlog (better Gentoo wayland experience)

Comment

Working...
                    X