Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes To Look Forward To With Firefox 52

Phoronix: Changes To Look Forward To With Firefox 52

Firefox 51 was released last week and like clock work there was a new Firefox beta for the next release issued shortly thereafter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    it requires to use pulseaudio, uses more ram than Chrome and Google Hangouts does not work. It is garbage software now, used firefox for several years.
    you live in an strange world
    more ram than chrome...

Comment

micheal, please which browser are you using for your everyday browsing? and which add-ons?
      @All of those Elementary OS lovers, don't you think it's weird (as in safety) to have Midori as default?

Comment

so confused.. isn't PPAPI "the new" (and safer) flash?
        doesn't Adobe provide both (NPAPI and PPAPI) on its Linux download page?
        What's NPAPI for then? (if my previous rethorical questions make sense)
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You have not measured. Google has improved Chrome since old days.
          You should also measure the amount of telemetry sent back...

Comment

Hum, so the VLC plugin will stop working, nice. TP-Link IP cameras uses VLC to display videos, instead of stupid IE only plugins all the other manufacturers uses. Now you cannot view the high quality feed of these cameras in a modern version o Firefox and TP-Link will be punished for choosing the opensource way on this matter. Tanks Mozilla!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Hum, so the VLC plugin will stop working, nice. TP-Link IP cameras uses VLC to display videos, instead of stupid IE only plugins all the other manufacturers uses. Now you cannot view the videos in a modern version o Firefox and TP-Link will be punished for choosing the opensource way on this matter. Tanks Mozilla!
              Nice rock you've been living under. I have a <video> tag I'd like to sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Hum, so the VLC plugin will stop working, nice. TP-Link IP cameras uses VLC to display videos, instead of stupid IE only plugins all the other manufacturers uses. Now you cannot view the high quality feed of these cameras in a modern version o Firefox and TP-Link will be punished for choosing the opensource way on this matter. Tanks Mozilla!
                WebRTC is the safe, standardized way of sending A/V streams to a browser, Firefox and Chrome have supported it for over two years and it's coming to Edge and Safari too. If TP-Link can't update its platforms to use standardized methods then their software support is mediocre at best.

Comment

crap!!, many corporate apps still require npapi java :/ I wonder how this will end up. Glad that I'm on MacOS with Safari and I'm safe at least until next version of OS

Comment

Chrome is still faster on the machines I use, but in the last year Firefox advanced from being painfully slow by comparison to just a little slower. I'm hoping that between their ongoing improvements to SpiderMonkey, their Electrolysis multi-process work, and the Quantum project they will eventually match or beat Chrome everywhere.

Chrome and - even better - Chromium are excellent. But I think it's good for competition to exist.

Comment

Working...
                    X