Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Git Virtual File-System (GVFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Announces Git Virtual File-System (GVFS)

Phoronix: Microsoft Announces Git Virtual File-System (GVFS)

Microsoft's latest open-source project is the Git Virtual File-System...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great stuff. Take one of the biggest advantages of Git (full offline functionality) and throw it under the bus so you get a shorter clone time.

Comment

What idiot decided that putting 3.5M files into a single repo is a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Great stuff. Take one of the biggest advantages of Git (full offline functionality) and throw it under the bus so you get a shorter clone time.
        "embrace and extend" aka. "embrace and extinguish".

Comment

not so, you don't *need* to have every single revision ever, and I can definitely understand the need for it.

Comment

I love how Microsoft is open sourcing so much!

I hope they release Visual Studio, DirectX and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) as open source too.
            I would love to see Visual Studio ported to Linux.
            Microsoft through Xamarin have Visual Studio for Mac, it would be great if that could be ported to Linux.

I would love to see more Microsoft software available in the Debian and Fedora repositories, such as VS Code, .NET Core, NuGet, PowerShell, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

"embrace and extend" aka. "embrace and extinguish".
              blah blah blah, your tired attacks are tired. get some new ones that reflect the current state of the company, not what it was 10 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

not so, you don't *need* to have every single revision ever, and I can definitely understand the need for it.
                Spoken like a true svn user.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                  What idiot decided that putting 3.5M files into a single repo is a good idea?
                  sounds like microsoft might have some contributing to the git project to do so that it can handle 3.5 millions files easily... oh wait

Comment

Spoken like a true svn user.
                    Not touched that hunk of junk in years - I have rarely needed an entire history of a file, and when I have it was mostly curiosity about who did what years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X