Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LunarGLASS Shader Compiler Stack Is Still In Development

Phoronix: LunarGLASS Shader Compiler Stack Is Still In Development

When writing this week about ILO Gallium3D being dropped from mainline Mesa, a Phoronix reader asked if LunarGLASS would be the next thing to be removed from Mesa... But LunarGLASS never made it to mainline Mesa, though it still is in development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, why won't they send the patches to mainline. By keeping it out-of-tree they just scatter resources, both theirs and of Mesa developers. If it's not ready yet, they could make LunarGLASS to be enabled only on compile-time or runtime switch for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Well, why won't they send the patches to mainline. By keeping it out-of-tree they just scatter resources, both theirs and of Mesa developers. If it's not ready yet, they could make LunarGLASS to be enabled only on compile-time or runtime switch for a while.
      Intel devs aren't interested and would just reject it. In fact, they pretty much already did that a couple years ago. They decided to go with NIR instead.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Intel devs aren't interested and would just reject it. In fact, they pretty much already did that a couple years ago. They decided to go with NIR instead.
        For starters there could just be a switch for users that want LunarGLASS instead of NIR. Thus Intel don't have to maintain LunarGLASS, like they didn't maintain ILO. And later on, if LunarGLASS turns out to be better than NIR, Intel devs might reconsider their decision.

Comment

For starters there could just be a switch for users that want LunarGLASS instead of NIR. Thus Intel don't have to maintain LunarGLASS, like they didn't maintain ILO. And later on, if LunarGLASS turns out to be better than NIR, Intel devs might reconsider their decision.
          I really doubt that, Intel seems to march to it's own beat. See the ilo gallium drivers. Intel had complained that it'd take too much effort to switch from Classic Mesa to Gallium, and then when someone did it they didn't care, despite the advantages that gallium brings.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I really doubt that, Intel seems to march to it's own beat. See the ilo gallium drivers. Intel had complained that it'd take too much effort to switch from Classic Mesa to Gallium, and then when someone did it they didn't care, despite the advantages that gallium brings.
            It's because they didn't have a pressure. See: when it turned out that ilo is a driver of a separate company, and Intel didn't want it — for whatever reason — everyone like "okay, we can't do anything".

If LunarGLASS would be an option, the day when LunarGLASS would be faster than NIR everyone start using it. People wouldn't care of what Intel devs thinks, because LunarGLASS is faster, and is developed at least by devs from other drivers. This would automagically obsolete NIR, and continuing development of the worse layer would be silly decision — Intel devs are not silly. They would be forced to throw away the other layer.

Comment

I decided to drop nvidia drivers and pull a GTX 970 out of a Skylake rig - I thought it would be more stable because it was Intel MESA driver, I was wrong. I get gnome-shell and gnome-shell-b crashes every 20 minuets or so, sometimes when a app opens that uses the GL render,

So far after sampling nvidia, intel and amd I'm happiest with AMD, looks like Im gonna need to scrounge up another 250$ for another AMDGPU to replace the 970s :9

Comment

if LunarGLASS turns out to be better than NIR, Intel devs might reconsider their decision.
                llvm was better than nothing and intel decided to create nir instead of using llvm

Comment

It might hurt some people but after leaving Intel behind and switching to AMD for gaming I never look back. Apart from Laptops Intel is not relevant, maybe that changes with Zen.

Comment

Working...
                  X