Godot 3.0 Game Engine Continues Marching Forward With Major Restructuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 3.0 Game Engine Continues Marching Forward With Major Restructuring

Phoronix: Godot 3.0 Game Engine Continues Marching Forward With Major Restructuring

Development on the Godot 3.0 game engine continues marching forward at full-speed as it works on an overhaul to its 3D renderer along with other significant changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wasn't godot 3.0 going to have vulkan? That's disappointing

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      No it was not going to have vulkan.

I am not sure if adding vulkan support would do any good. It is not what you would call a high perf engine, focuses more on ease of use.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        I don't think they ever committed to Vulkan in Godot 3.0. GLES 3.0 is a step much closer to Vulkan. UBO/VAO stuff maps much better to Vulkan PSOs I would think. Once Vulkan has been standard issue on smartphones for a couple years, I suspect they'll be looking at that. Unfortunately, I think at that point they'll have to have multiple backends. Apple will probably never let Vulkan happen on iOS, and not everyone will want to pay to license MoltenVK.

Microsoft could also start trying to sabotage Vulkan on Windows in order to retain their investment in Direct3D 12.

Comment

Really looking forward to Godot. Great to have some decent competition for the commercial Unity 3D engine.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
            Really looking forward to Godot.
            VLADIMIR: We have to come back tomorrow.
            ESTRAGON: What for?
            VLADIMIR: To wait for Godot.
            ESTRAGON: Ah! (Silence.) He didn't come?

Comment

Working...
            X