Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiRT Rally On Linux To Support Mesa 13's RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: DiRT Rally On Linux To Support Mesa 13's RadeonSI Gallium3D

Last week Feral Interactive announced DiRT Rally is coming to Linux while now they've announced the system requirements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Color me interested! I'll buy it on my Linux computer when it's available.

Comment

Very good to see that vendors can now support games on the current stable release of Mesa! This is perhaps the most pivotal moment since steam shipped on linux for the first time.

Comment

I may just have to pick up a copy!

Comment

Yes. This is great news. Now what Feral needs to do is go back to all their previous ports and do the same for them. My personal opinion is that even r600g had every feature and function required to be able to run everything Feral has released if it is started with GL version overrides. The fact that even still it doesn't work well speaks volumes about Feral and nobody else.

Maybe this is finally an indication that they need to rethink how they translate from DX to GL. What they are currently doing obviously translates into functions and features it shouldn't which both unnecessarily increases minimum requirements and performance overhead.

Comment

I would think that if radeonSI is supported, AMDGPU (and pro) would be too.

Anyway, it's a significant milestone for a AAA title to claim open-source driver support. Really shows how good the drivers are, and yet they only continue to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I would think that if radeonSI is supported, AMDGPU (and pro) would be too.

Anyway, it's a significant milestone for a AAA title to claim open-source driver support. Really shows how good the drivers are, and yet they only continue to get better.
              I'm surprised to hear this misunderstanding from you. Amdgpu is the kernel driver and radeonsi is the mesa driver. Amdgpu-pro is the commercial package which includes a modified amdgpu kernel driver and proprietary GL,CL, and Vulkan drivers.

Comment

Sweet, I already own it and have played a lot on windows already. Will have to do the benchmark on both OS once it's available.

Comment

So HD 5450 as minumum for Windows, while here minimum is R9 270.

My safe bet is 60% alcohol on average as always

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I'm surprised to hear this misunderstanding from you. Amdgpu is the kernel driver and radeonsi is the mesa driver. Amdgpu-pro is the commercial package which includes a modified amdgpu kernel driver and proprietary GL,CL, and Vulkan drivers.
                    I'm not really sure what the purpose was of the clarification, as it doesn't change my statement. I'm aware they're different, but their differences shouldn't really have an impact on the resulting compatibility (seeing as amdgpu and radeonsi pretty much work together).
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 06 February 2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X