Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance-Boosting Fast Clears To Be Enabled By Default For RADV Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance-Boosting Fast Clears To Be Enabled By Default For RADV Vulkan Driver

Phoronix: Fast Clears To Be Enabled By Default For Radeon RADV Vulkan Driver

The open-source RADV Radeon Vulkan driver is going to be flipping on fast clears by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this is part of closing the gap with the pro Vulkan driver. Although I have a feeling the higher resolutions will still lag behind until some of the texture compression support is added.

Looking forward to benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
      Hopefully this is part of closing the gap with the pro Vulkan driver. Although I have a feeling the higher resolutions will still lag behind until some of the texture compression support is added.

This - all of this. I am constantly amazed by how fast the RADV driver is coming along

Comment

Don't forget to test the 290!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

This - all of this. I am constantly amazed by how fast the RADV driver is coming along
          They're relentless.
          I raise a glass to them!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

well before vulkan came out this is what we were told, drivers will be easier to do than openGL...

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

How about closing the gap with the OPENGL API? Until now RADV is pretty useless. The only idea behind Vulkan is to offer improved performance compared to Opengl, RADV is slower so what's the point in using RADV?

Comment

Originally posted by Screech View Post

How about closing the gap with the OPENGL API? Until now RADV is pretty useless. The only idea behind Vulkan is to offer improved performance compared to Opengl, RADV is slower so what's the point in using RADV?
                The point is to have a open source driver, nothing else. And you know the definition of open source right?
                The point is not for it to be faster when it's not feature complete, as any development you tend to make it work/function correctly before you go with speed/performance.

And on another note, by this logic Mesa driver should have been abandoned long ago too.

Comment

Originally posted by Screech View Post

It's debateable if current vulkan games are using the API as well as they are the OpenGL APIs.

Let's remember that the OpenGL has been optimized over years, and many of the features have been developed on top of the optimizations, both in drivers and in games. Most of that effort doesn't translate directly to a vulkan implementation.

Comment

Could not have said it better. Vulkan is early stage tech. However, the progress on it is pretty remarkable. Once again, if you're going to bitch, then get to coding and contribute. If not then STFU.

Comment

Working...
                    X