Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Audio Patches Posted For Raspberry Pi's VC4 Driver

Phoronix: HDMI Audio Patches Posted For Raspberry Pi's VC4 Driver

If these patches land soon, the Raspberry Pi could beat newer AMD graphics cards to having mainline HDMI audio support via their respective Linux kernel DRM drivers (with the AMDGPU audio support still being held up by DAL/DC mainlining efforts). Eric Anholt managed to finally put out the VC4 HDMI audio code for review...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no AArch64 blobs for RPi3 :/

Comment

Yay, this will probably land in time for me to buy a Raspberry Pi 4 for my niece for next Xmas, with working OSS audio and video over the HDMI cable!

That extra cable for the audio connection is a pain in a variety of ways...

It's ugly having extra wires, the actual sound quality is reduced with the extra D/A A/D stages and exposure to unshielded RFI from the surrounding environment, and the Raspberry Pi itself... anyone who owns a GSM phone knows what I'm talking about... though in some ways it can be cool to know you are going to receive a call one second in advance because your TV goes "dat da-dat dat hmmmmmm..." then there's the actual cost of getting the extra cable for some people, and lastly it's just nice to have the hardware properly supported.

Comment

You said it.
        if I had an AMD card I'd be livid about this.
        Pretty sure will do pi for htpc next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
          Still no AArch64 blobs for RPi3 :/
          What exactly are you asking for? The VideoCore blobs don't really depend on any given ARM architecture. There are some problems when memory is passed between blob and ARM land with AArch64, but these cannot really be solved as VideoCore is 32 bit. Workarounds are needed here to keep that memory in the first 4 GB of the address space. That's nothing special, quite a bit of (older) hardware has similar restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

What exactly are you asking for? The VideoCore blobs don't really depend on any given ARM architecture. There are some problems when memory is passed between blob and ARM land with AArch64, but these cannot really be solved as VideoCore is 32 bit. Workarounds are needed here to keep that memory in the first 4 GB of the address space. That's nothing special, quite a bit of (older) hardware has similar restrictions.
            I wasn't just complaining about the GPU, but rather lack of binary blobs that can be used with 64 bit OS (lack of AArch64 distro for RPi3).

Comment

Working...
            X