KDE Plasma Leaning Towards Focusing On Flatpak Over AppImage/Snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Leaning Towards Focusing On Flatpak Over AppImage/Snaps

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Leaning Towards Focusing On Flatpak Over AppImage/Snaps

Veteran KDE developer Sebastian Kügler has written a blog post following the Plasma Sprint that just happened recently in Stuttgart. A few interesting details were shared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In what ways is Flatpak more advance?

and as far as I know you don't need to use Ubuntu's store to use Snappy, it's just the default.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
      It doesn't have major involvement by Canonical

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

It doesn't have major involvement by Canonical
        did they murder your family or why the grudge against them?

Comment

"Leaning towards" is Sebas's opinion, it most certainly does not reflect everyone hence the quite clear sentence about the official position.

Personally I'm massively in favour of Snaps; it reuses existing communication interfaces instead of making all apps talk through a portal. That's going to be limiting, require changes in the apps and (IMHO) lead to the project not getting much traction.

But that's not an official position of the entire Plasma team; which is frankly moot anyway as by definition Plasma isn't applications and our opinion doesn't matter much.

Comment

did they murder your family or why the grudge against them?
            The post explains the danger...

> by adopting a technology for a process as important as software distribution that could be switched off by a single company. This would pose an unacceptable risk, and it would send the wrong signal to the rest of the Free software community.

Also you could look at past example of Canonical splitting from community efforts, i.e Wayland -> Mir and Gnome -> Unity

Comment

Snaps do not require any connection with Ubuntu or Canonical but they do require some sort of central distribution, by design. It's a requirement of secure distribution to only accept updates from an authenticated and authorized source, as has been proved frequently by exploits seen in the wild on things like routers and cameras. You still get your freedoms protected if you're the legitimate owner of a device designed to use snaps, but your security in enjoying those freedoms is enhanced by the inbuilt ability to trust the source of software updates.

This is one of the salient and most important differentiators between snappy and flatpack.

Comment

I really like Snap's syntax more than Flatpak's.

I also don't understand why packages installed via Flatpak also have to be run via Flatpak?

i.e.

flatpak run application

Seriously, just compare how you install the same package on Flatpak and Snap. Flatpak first:

flatpak --user remote-add --no-gpg-verify tutorial-repo repo

flatpak --user install tutorial-repo org.test.Hello

Snap:

snap install hello

How on earth is flatpak better?

Comment

and as far as I know you don't need to use Ubuntu's store to use Snappy, it's just the default.
                  Sandboxing, better dependencies system, not controlled by canonical

Comment

incredible how misinformed people are on this board

Comment

Working...
                    X