Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd Updated With New Support, Developer Endorses Dell For Linux

Phoronix: Fwupd Updated With New Support, Developer Endorses Dell For Linux

Longtime GNOME developer Richard Hughes has announced a new release of fwupd, the open-source utility for updating firmware on Linux in a safe, automatic, and reliable manner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bought two Dells with Ubuntu. Overall it has been a good experience. Dell's Ubuntu as shipped is usually a bit outdated and not perfect, but Dell is contributing to make upstream Linux work better, so it's all good.

Comment

Dell is not the same company as today as it was in the ugly plastic crap box days of the late 90's and early 2000's. The boss wanted a new notebook and I recommended a new XPS 13 without hesitation... and it's been awesome so far.

As for Linux support, the pre-loading is a great thing but even better is that they don't put up artificial barriers to installing your own distro.

Comment

I am really happy with my XPS 13 DE. Some minor issues disappeared when updating to the newest Ubuntu.
        Also very nice to boot a machine the first time and be greeted by Ubuntus very nice OEM welcome video :-)

Comment

Ah Mario is at Dell now, sounds like the right guy at the right place!

Comment

Does Dell produce any high-end laptops with AMD APUs? Something comparable to the HP Elitebook 755 series.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
              Ah Mario is at Dell now, sounds like the right guy at the right place!
              He's been at Dell for a long time, like almost a decade.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                Does Dell produce any high-end laptops with AMD APUs?
                High end and AMD APU... those two things don't go together.

Comment

I don't see any AMD laptops at Dell.

But I'm not going to buy HP either:

* Crappy arrow key layout with tiny up-down arrows. WTF are they thinking?
                  * MS tax- no Linux or FreeDOS options available

I'm still waiting for Ryzen- maybe that will increase availability of AMD laptops, and maybe some local guys will get no-OS or Linux ones. Current AMD laptop selection sucks really really bad.

Does Dell produce any high-end laptops with AMD APUs? Something comparable to the HP Elitebook 755 series.

Comment

No Dell is very Highly Anti-AMD. They've signed illegal agrrements with Intel in the past to keep AMD out of their product line ups and got busted for it. So in todays age there are a very few AMD products in their line but they don't really care and don't try.

Comment

Working...
                    X