No announcement yet.

Intel Celeron/Pentium/Core i3/i5/i7 - NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Celeron/Pentium/Core i3/i5/i7 - NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Intel Celeron/Pentium/Core i3/i5/i7 - NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Gaming Performance

Five AMD/NVIDIA graphics cards tested on five different Intel Kabylake processors from a low-end $40 Celeron CPU to a high-end Core i7 7700K is the focus of today's Linux benchmarking. Various OpenGL and Vulkan Linux gaming benchmarks were run to see how the RadeonSI and NVIDIA Linux performance evolves from a Celeron G3930 to Pentium G4600 to Core i3 7100 to Core i5 7600K to Core i7 7700K.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    For this game the GTX 1050 was faster than the R9 Fury and RX 480 on RadeonSI Mesa 17.1-deve and even when using a Celeron CPU.

Comment

I usually ignore regular typos, but this one is functional typo

Those wishing to see how their own GPU/CPU compare to the assortment of hardware used in this article, simply install the Phoronix Test Suite and run phoornix-test-suite benchmark 1702083-RI-KABYLAKEG39

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        I usually ignore regular typos, but this one is functional typo
        Yep fixed thanks as well as tildearrow typo.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wasn’t expecting such an article comparing CPUs and GPUs at the same time, and with commercial games too, very nice!

Comment

It looks like most games are CPU-bound.

Comment

Seems an i3 is good enough to play just about any Linux-compatible game. That's actually pretty impressive. Get the overclockable model and bump up the freq and it would likely hold up for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                I wonder if this isn't the translation layer games use, because on Windows CPU isn't usually the bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I wonder if this isn't the translation layer games use, because on Windows CPU isn't usually the bottleneck.
                  For Portal and Xonotic and TF2 and stuff like that? It surely is.

Unfortunately there aren't many linux benchmarks utilizing modern graphics features. Unigine Office (or whatever it's called) could make a difference once it's available.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    Ha, ha, old news

Only Unigine is not, that is why it is GPU benchmark... when something is CPU bound in Unigine (let alone if a bug that need improvments) then that is just user misconception as people shouldn't combine slow CPU with big GPU
                    Last edited by dungeon; 08 February 2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X