Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost A Decade Later, RadeonHD Stories Still Coming To Light

Phoronix: Almost A Decade Later, RadeonHD Stories Still Coming To Light

This September will mark 10 years since the public launch of the RadeonHD DDX driver (xf86-video-radeonhd) that was developed by SUSE during the Radeon X1000 and HD 2000/3000 days in conjunction with ATI/AMD. While we've talked about what started AMD's open-source strategy in the past and dozens of other RadeonHD articles, new stories are still coming to light...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lol, this madness is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Lol, this madness is amazing.
      ?? could you elaborate? I read the whole thing and saw no madness from anyone anywhere. But maybe, to understand the whole thing, one has to need to know more about atomBIOS. But even then... which madness?

Comment

Wow... I'm looking forward to the following post. For several reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

?? could you elaborate? I read the whole thing and saw no madness from anyone anywhere. But maybe, to understand the whole thing, one has to need to know more about atomBIOS. But even then... which madness?
          The part where multiple parties went out of their way to delay and inhibit the development of an opensource ATi driver project. Also to invalidate Suse's contribution, because politics. Kinda what the whole point of the article. Resulting the death of the project.

As said, the above, combined with what already was known to this executive, and the games he saw being played first hand from april 2008 throughout june 2008, marked the start of the end of the RadeonHD project.
          Maybe you need to read it again?
          Last edited by dh04000; 13 February 2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

If they had some spokeperson girl instead of Bridgman, everything would be fine.

I would put girls everywhere as stable software release managers really Bacause normal mans are known to do dirty work and like to behave like pigs

Last edited by dungeon; 13 February 2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              The part where multiple parties went out of their way to delay and inhibit the development of an opensource ATi driver project. Also to invalidate Suse's contribution, because politics. Kinda what the whole point of the article. Resulting the death of the project. Maybe you need to read it again?
              Yeah, that part isn't actually true.

I said right from the start that the plan we were following was worked out with Alex and Dave; Luc just didn't want to believe me (since the SUSE folks had worked out their own plan even earlier) and so later I suppose it might have seemed like a conspiracy. From my perspective I worked with Dave & Alex first and then we brought in SUSE (the opposite of your perspective, of course)... I had this crazy idea that everyone could just work together, but it was more difficult to keep everyone in agreement than I had ever imagined.

That's really the whole story.

Halfway july, when we first got into contact with Bridgman, he suddenly started bringing up AtomBIOS.
              This is your smoking gun right here - AtomBIOS was part of our plan from the start. Not something we introduced later. Same for KMS as well, although we agreed it wasn't practical to start with KMS given the (as I discovered) limited state of AtomBIOS documentation and support.

Anyways, as the article says this was 10 years ago.
              Last edited by bridgman; 13 February 2017, 12:53 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yeah, that part isn't actually true, but the rest is a good read.
                John, i can back it up with quite a few emails, i suggest you check our communication in 2007 and 2008. This is not slander, this is quite true. Stop lying, i know it is your trade, but stop it.
                Last edited by libv; 13 February 2017, 12:33 PM. Reason: Add the third sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Yeah, that part isn't actually true, but the rest is a good read.
                  Hi Bridgman, I was wondering if you would ignore this thread or comment on it.

Do you have a comment on the specifics of the blog post? I ask that without accusation or the likes, just genuine interest.

Comment

Oh yeah afternoon drama! michael_jackson_eating_popcorn.gif

Jokes aside, libv that's a lot of info, thanks for sharing it!

Comment

Working...
                    X