Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.0 Patches For Intel Ivy Bridge Revised

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.0 Patches For Intel Ivy Bridge Revised

While yesterday's Mesa 17.0 release took Intel Haswell hardware from OpenGL 3.3 to OpenGL 4.5, this quarterly update didn't end up bring the older Ivy Bridge hardware past OpenGL 3.3. But consulting firm Igalia has continued working on their patches to bring Ivy Bridge hardware up to OpenGL 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

According to the specs OpenGL 4.0 is the maximum those GPUs can handle?

Still I wonder why so much work is put in old Intel GPUs. I don't think they could ever play any recent Games. The only exception might be Intel Iris Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      Still I wonder why so much work is put in old Intel GPUs.
      That's simple. Because someone wants to do it. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

That's simple. Because someone wants to do it. That's it.
        in this case intel pays igalia to do it

Comment

Still I wonder why so much work is put in old Intel GPUs. I don't think they could ever play any recent Games. The only exception might be Intel Iris Pro.
          Hey, I'm on an Ivy Bridge notebook and those patches enable running unity games without downgrading to OpenGL 2.1 (--force-opengl or something). I can assure you that I run games with this notebook, even of it's generally indie games with low system requirements. I may be able to run Motorsport Manager with the 3D view at minimum details, that would be really appreciated.

Comment

Still I wonder why so much work is put in old Intel GPUs.
            game developers would like to use newer versions of opengl but they know that many intel gpu's only support old opengl so they make their games with old opengl. If intel can get all theirs using 4.0 then more developers will use newer versions of opengl or vulkan. Also there may be professional 3d design software that makes use of new gl versions.

Comment

It amazes me that no matter what the news, there is someone who thinks it's stupid. Enable GL 4.x on Broadwell/Skylake? People complain that Haswell/Ivybridge aren't included. Enable GL 4.x on Haswell/Ivybridge? People think it's a waste of time. It's pretty demotivating reading the Phoronix forums.

We expect Ivybridge to support at least GL 4.2. Some amount of work remains to be done for GL_ARB_stencil_texturing and GL 4.3. Some amount of work on GL_ARB_query_buffer_object and GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 would get Ivybridge all the way to GL 4.5.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                It amazes me that no matter what the news, there is someone who thinks it's stupid. Enable GL 4.x on Broadwell/Skylake? People complain that Haswell/Ivybridge aren't included. Enable GL 4.x on Haswell/Ivybridge? People think it's a waste of time. It's pretty demotivating reading the Phoronix forums.
                That's default human nature, whatever you do, someone will complain.

In this specific case, cRaZy-bisCuiT is posting bullshit, these GPUs are still very damn common and still in use and will likely remain in use for quite a bit of time. If we were talking of VIA's GPUs on the other hand...

Comment

macOS supports up to OpenGL 4.1 on any GPU (starting from HD4000) so that's the minimum they should target for any driver on Linux too. It makes porting games from Windows easier as you can forget about anything other than OpenGL 4.1 (or 3.3 if you want to get even older GPUs in).

Comment

As Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 1gen owner I have to thank Intel and Igalia for this work.

Comment

Working...
                    X