No announcement yet.

Valve Has Another Linux Graphics Driver Developer Working On Open-Source AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Has Another Linux Graphics Driver Developer Working On Open-Source AMD

Phoronix: Valve Has Another Linux Graphics Driver Developer Working On Open-Source AMD

You may have noticed recently that Timothy Arceri has been working on AMD Mesa/Gallium3D improvements while previously he mostly focused on the Intel driver stack at Collabora. It turns out this change-over is due to Arceri having joined Valve to work on the open-source AMD Linux driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats! Thanks for all the good work you did so far and I wish you the best of luck at Valve!

Comment

Timothy is an example how one can land his dream job! Good work.
      For Timothy: Are you moving to Valve office, or working from home?

Comment

This is great news after seen the windows vs linux (opengl vs dx11) benchmarks since AMD drivers always under-perform in comparison to nvidia (opengl), I used to buy AMD GPU's but now only my CPU is AMD, switched to nvidia after seen how bad amd drivers performed with opengl. Also for now vulkan is not a real alternative, I still want to play all those opengl games that may never get ported to vulkan, so vulkan isn't really a solution, also even if opengl games are ported to vulkan the performance seems to decrease instead of increase (maybe immature drivers, game not optimized for multi-threading). I just wish this valve effort produces some good fruits since I really want to enjoy some linux game (see a power efficient steambox), but again, seeing how bad nvidia drivers which work better than amd drivers underperformed in the opengl vs dx11 scenario is devastating, just think how bad amd drivers perform against nvidia ones, so the gap of amd is even more huge.

This is why people isn't switching to steamos, (besides, the game catalog is still smaller than that on windows)

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Timothy is an example how one can land his dream job! Good work.
          For Timothy: Are you moving to Valve office, or working from home?
          Same question to Samuel actually. AFAIK Valve only hires people to work from their offices, but they might have consulted them.

Comment

I totally love how Nvidia does not profit from Valve hiring full time developers for Mesa/RADV!
            Simply because they (N) are such pricks when it come to supporting free software drivers.

Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              This is great news after seen the windows vs linux (opengl vs dx11) benchmarks since AMD drivers always under-perform in comparison to nvidia (opengl), I used to buy AMD GPU's but now only my CPU is AMD, switched to nvidia after seen how bad amd drivers performed with opengl. Also for now vulkan is not a real alternative, I still want to play all those opengl games that may never get ported to vulkan, so vulkan isn't really a solution, also even if opengl games are ported to vulkan the performance seems to decrease instead of increase (maybe immature drivers, game not optimized for multi-threading). I just wish this valve effort produces some good fruits since I really want to enjoy some linux game (see a power efficient steambox), but again, seeing how bad nvidia drivers which work better than amd drivers underperformed in the opengl vs dx11 scenario is devastating, just think how bad amd drivers perform against nvidia ones, so the gap of amd is even more huge.

This is why people isn't switching to steamos, (besides, the game catalog is still smaller than that on windows)
              Vulkan IS a solution if developers leave their DirectX and OpenGL comfort zones.

Comment

Congratulations Timothy. I remember when I backed you, it's nice to have contributed to the Mesa project.

Comment

This is great. AMD is making amazing progress, but they do need help. I'm glad that Valve is focusing on important things that AMD seems to put as a lower priority. Helps things get done quicker without devs stepping on each other toes.

Comment

i have only one question. why didn't valve do this push in 2012?

Comment

Working...
                    X