Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Adds New Capability To Intel's Vulkan Mesa Driver

Phoronix: Feral Adds New Capability To Intel's Vulkan Mesa Driver

It looks like Feral Interactive might be getting closer to releasing their first Linux game port using Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Promising news, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just because it's Vulkan it doesn't mean that's going to be some sort of magic bullet for performance (whatever 'it' is).

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Promising news, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Just because it's Vulkan it doesn't mean that's going to be some sort of magic bullet for performance (whatever 'it' is).
      Vulkan is about supporting DX12 renderers. Which up till now haven't shown much gain on Windows. However, it's not so much about the gain, as it is about preventing to 20% to 25% loss in performance that OpenGL gets. So for Linux ports it is actually a big deal.

Comment

Doom?

Comment

But why Anv and not Radv? Are they porting an indie game from 1992?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            But why Anv and not Radv? Are they porting an indie game from 1992?
            I was wondering the same thing, but I think it's because currently (to my understanding) Intel's Vulkan support for Linux is incomplete. Though RADV still needs attention, amdgpu-pro and Nvidia's closed-source drivers are fully Vulkan compliant. It's better to try getting all hardware platforms on the same page first.

Comment

Bring on Rise of Tomb Raider. I've just finished TR2013.

Comment

... seeing some Intel "ANV" Vulkan work by a Feral developer might mean they are getting close
                Were did you get that connection from? All it seems to mean is that they need support for that in the driver for the game(s) they are currently working on, so they have implemented it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I was wondering the same thing, but I think it's because currently (to my understanding) Intel's Vulkan support for Linux is incomplete. Though RADV still needs attention, amdgpu-pro and Nvidia's closed-source drivers are fully Vulkan compliant. It's better to try getting all hardware platforms on the same page first.
                  Our (Intel's) Vulkan driver is conformant.

The patches from Feral implement an optional feature. We're very excited to receive patches from them.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post

Our (Intel's) Vulkan driver is conformant.

The patches from Feral implement an optional feature. We're very excited to receive patches from them.
                    Conformant and complete are two different things.

Comment

Working...
                    X