Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Discover Making Progress With Flatpak Support

Phoronix: KDE Discover Making Progress With Flatpak Support

KDE developer Jan Grulich already tackled Flatpak KDE portals support and one of his latest support has been integrating a Flatpak back-end into KDE Discover...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh great, a KDE-based article and within one hour of its publish time there are already trolls...

Comment

Neat, discover started as part of the Muon suite, which is all based on QApt - so it's built originally around debian-based systems.
      Originally I thought Plasma Discover was just a renaming of Muon Discover, the app-store-like frontend.
      But now it's received in-development support for snaps and now for flatpak.
      Does it support RPM on rpm-based distros? What's the scope of this tool now?
      Is it really just becoming the universal package manager for KDE like gnome-software is for GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
        Does it support RPM on rpm-based distros?
        Yes. I think that, like previous KDE software installers, uses packagekit and thus supports any platform packagekit supports.

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
        Is it really just becoming the universal package manager for KDE like gnome-software is for GNOME?
        No, KDE has had that for a long time. Discover is a lot more. It is a universal software and add-on installer and updater. Besides compiled packages like rpm and deb files, it also supports installing plug-ins for a wide variety of software like themes of all sorts, marble maps, kate code snippets, korganizer calendars, game levels and maps, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Yes. I think that, like previous KDE software installers, uses packagekit and thus supports any platform packagekit supports.

No, KDE has had that for a long time. Discover is a lot more. It is a universal software and add-on installer and updater. Besides compiled packages like rpm and deb files, it also supports installing plug-ins for a wide variety of software like themes of all sorts, marble maps, kate code snippets, korganizer calendars, game levels and maps, and so on.
          The potential scope seems pretty similar. GNOME Software does have support for plug-ins as well FYI. They use it for now for GNOME Shell extensions for example but any type of add-ons can go in there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Let's not forget non-free codecs, which you can install extremely conveniently, if you want.

Comment

This is great, I especially like the potential for non-admin users to be able to easily install new software on their machines via flatpack. And sandboxed, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                This is great, I especially like the potential for non-admin users to be able to easily install new software on their machines via flatpack. And sandboxed, if possible.
                Meh, you can only do it in user's home and that's as ugly as it is on Windows: you may easily end up with several copies of the same software installed (Chrome used to do that - uber annoying).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Meh, you can only do it in user's home and that's as ugly as it is on Windows: you may easily end up with several copies of the same software installed (Chrome used to do that - uber annoying).
                  Not quite. flatpak is based on ostree which does deduplication at the file level.

Comment

I'm really liking Discover more now that ever, it's shaping out quite nicely and not as ugly as before. I hope its support for snap/flatpak packages gets mature.

Comment

Working...
                    X