Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.15 Released: Improved Vulkan Support

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.15 Released: Improved Vulkan Support

Epic Games announced the release this morning of Unreal Engine 4.15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These aren't finished yet:

* https://trello.com/c/Cf0btpIb/785-vu...erred-contexts
    * https://trello.com/c/j1osB9SS/787-vu...r-sm5-features
    * https://trello.com/c/yBXenTgw/801-vulkan-on-linux

Comment

I'm still waiting eagerly for Linux to get some love with a Linux Epic Games Launcher...

Comment

Is there any Unreal Vulkan Android demo or game? Can i check it on Youtube?

What about Linux Unreal Editor its still experimental, or fully supported? If yes, which distros are supported?

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post

What about Linux Unreal Editor its still experimental, or fully supported? If yes, which distros are supported?
          From my quick look, it seems it's quite well supported. I'm not so happy, that you somehow are nearly forced to use the editor, and there is no easy way to do 3d programming without using the editor. For my own taste, it gives the impression of not being that much in control and not understand well what is going on [you have to search a lot till you find the main function!]. I prefer Panda3D even if it doesn't have all the high end features of unreal engine. Panda3D works nice on Linux [the disadvantage is, it's not ported to android]. After trying Qt3D, Urho3D, Ogre3D, Godot... I came to the conclusion that for my purpose it's better to write my own engine from scratch based on Vulkan.

Comment

Epic's blog post appeared the same day as the release this time! The blog guy may be improving.

Originally posted by ruthan View Post

They still refer to it as "experimental". You still have to compile the Linux Editor yourself from the GitHub sources. (No binary releases, still). And whatever doesn't work that you report, they'll take a look at if they time. They still recommend cross-compiling your game from Windows for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
              I came to the conclusion that for my purpose it's better to write my own engine from scratch based on Vulkan.
              I don't think their target audience is people willing to build their own game engine, so you are most likely correct. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post

From my quick look, it seems it's quite well supported. I'm not so happy, that you somehow are nearly forced to use the editor, and there is no easy way to do 3d programming without using the editor. For my own taste, it gives the impression of not being that much in control and not understand well what is going on [you have to search a lot till you find the main function!]. I prefer Panda3D even if it doesn't have all the high end features of unreal engine. Panda3D works nice on Linux [the disadvantage is, it's not ported to android]. After trying Qt3D, Urho3D, Ogre3D, Godot... I came to the conclusion that for my purpose it's better to write my own engine from scratch based on Vulkan.
                I mean it only as a bit as offense, but you are definitely on right place. Linux users often dont understand to sense of GUI. Maybe you are so clever that you dont need it, but for other people is way to do, is more straight forward and make things more easy - if you able of abstraction thinking. Try to understand everything on lowlevel is usually way to hell, if you are not genius with elephants memory.

If you are core engine coder you would spend most of time in coding IDE - in Visual studio equivalent for Linux and you could spend whole day on some PhysX, Vulkan, CUDA optimalization, API study and maybe even some ASM stuff, but that is why of are buying Unreal.
                In case of Unreal is still good to have lowlevel guy which understand such things to, to debug if is something wrong or consider implementation of new API, library, effect etc.. But most of coders are game logic programs and that is games about.. - implementation of designers visions, creating living worlds, making fun etc.. And for debugging this, you need be more in game in the 3D space, not in IDE, but in editor - which has more game oriented debugging tools, profilers, test scene creating tools, prefabs.

If you interesting only core technical stufff, maybe movie effects or science is better place for you, or maybe you could finally make QEMU running fast

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                  I'm still waiting eagerly for Linux to get some love with a Linux Epic Games Launcher...
                  Yes, I'm a bit sad they don't showcase their engine Linux capabilities with Paragon

Comment

The editor is a little buggy but usable on Ubuntu. A crash once in a while, but I'm limited to 16 shader with GLSL430. Will that limit go away with Vulkan?

Comment

Working...
                    X