Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Mesa 17.1-dev vs. AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Performance

Phoronix: RADV Mesa 17.1-dev vs. AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 Performance

With Vulkan turning one year old I decided to run some fresh comparison benchmarks of Mesa 17.1-dev RADV (as well as some RadeonSI OpenGL results for reference) compared to AMD's latest public hybrid driver release, the AMDGPU-PRO 16.60.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like there is room for some Vulkan optimization in Mesa.
    Since the bottle necking in Mesa on Vulkan appears to be related to resolution, it could be some needless screen buffer swapping that is happening in post processing shaders.
    But it is still very impressive what Mesa is delivering now.

As is have said before... If these improvements continue, i might buy a AMD GFX card for my Linux machine, next time i upgrade my hardware.

Comment

One, two, three, four... up, down, same, fail... and again... performance comparisons seems to be like aerobics

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        i also bought a AMD RX470 OC 4G to use it with opensource drivers... nice to know that it is 43% faster than the closed source driver in DOTA2 in OpenGL mode :-)
        *winning*

Comment

then:
          AMDGPU open source driver is better for openGL
          AMDGPU-PRO is better for vulkan (and some AAA openGL games at day one release)

Comment

Nice. Regressions kinda suck though. But I suppose that is sometimes the price for riding bleeding edge development builds. It's cool to see the performance on the working tests. Thanks.

Comment

radv is 2.25 times slower than radeonsi in 1080
              video mode error in talos 2.5k on radv was present since beginning. i guess it was never tested in anything higher than 1080

Comment

Nice! We really need a good OpenCL and Vulkan implementation for the Open Source drivers and then we will be set! Not to mention, FreeSync would be nice too!

Comment

Michael your Talos pts test is broken somehow, here I've hacked it to set a bunch of envvars it strips, talos does produce a log in it's install of why it failed maybe it would be good to see.

Talos is tested nearly every day or two here.

Comment

Michael the log is "Steam/steamapps/common/The Talos Principle/Log/Talos.all.log" it probably contains where the pts test is failing for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X