Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon "GFX9" Support Lands In LLVM's AMDGPU Backend

Phoronix: Radeon "GFX9" Support Lands In LLVM's AMDGPU Backend

Hitting mainline LLVM this weekend is support for AMD Radeon GFX9 within the AMDGPU back-end, not to be confused with the AMDGPU DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    I was suprised to see

Comment

I really hope there is good support on radeonsi from launch of Vega. I've been planning an all AMD system for a year now. Hoping the performance and value is there. Exciting times.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
        I really hope there is good support on radeonsi from launch of Vega.
        I dont think RadeonSI/Mesa will be the problem, but AMDGPU (KMod) that is still without DC

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          I dont think RadeonSI/Mesa will be the problem, but AMDGPU (KMod) that is still without DC
          i can assure you that distro-standard radeonsi/mesa will be the problem because of llvm 5 requirement. and you you will use some nonstandard repo for mesa, you can as well use it for kernel

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Typo:

Fixed, thanks.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Even if it's not mainline, it's availabe in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i can assure you that distro-standard radeonsi/mesa will be the problem because of llvm 5 requirement. and you you will use some nonstandard repo for mesa, you can as well use it for kernel
                For what it's worth, if necessary, the Mesa build system could start linking in llvm statically; it might even help performance. Distros would just have to know to update mesa when LLVM 5 is patched.

Comment

Why exactly is GFX9 part of radeonSI? Assuming this is architecturally different from GCN, wouldn't this be a good opportunity for a new driver? Or does that not really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Fixed, thanks.
                    I have to ask you Michael, since you always publish articles with these really simple misspellings, are you using a spell-checker on them? Why aren't you writing articles in Libre Office, use the spell-checker, and then just copy-paste it into your publishing system? Or at least use the spell-checker in Firefox/browser of your choice? It feels a bit cumbersome to have tildearrow proof-read all of them after publishing them

Comment

Working...
                    X