Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Ahead To The Linux 4.11 Kernel

Phoronix: Looking Ahead To The Linux 4.11 Kernel

The Linux 4.10 kernel is expected to be released today and while it comes with many exciting changes, the 4.10 release means the opening of the Linux 4.11 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting on Intel vGPU to be better supported, that might depend on qemu, libvirt and possibly virt-manager updates? Hoping I can use it on my laptop, any idea how that will work for display? VNC or Spice?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      Waiting on Intel vGPU to be better supported, that might depend on qemu, libvirt and possibly virt-manager updates? Hoping I can use it on my laptop, any idea how that will work for display? VNC or Spice?
      That would be very interesting to know...

Comment

this imminent release seems to be sufficiently light.

Comment

What else are you hoping to see out of Linux 4.11? Share your thoughts with us in the forums. Stay tuned for all of our original coverage of the Linux 4.11 merge window over the next two weeks.
          Still hoping that for AMDGPU, support for Tahiti cards will be added, and enabled as part of support for SI/CI in general.

Comment

Is it fairly usable already? I tried Linux-next-git on Arch and it seemed to run well for a while, but then I noticed quite a few programs doing odd things and logging segfaults to dmesg. Only just recently got into custom kernels though, so this is probably standard fare for bleeding edge.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
              Is it fairly usable already? I tried Linux-next-git on Arch and it seemed to run well for a while, but then I noticed quite a few programs doing odd things and logging segfaults to dmesg. Only just recently got into custom kernels though, so this is probably standard fare for bleeding edge.
              Please don't try to actually run linux-next kernels. They are updated daily and contain latest experimental code; they are intended for developers to make sure that their code will compile properly with the next version of the kernel. They are super unstable and often full of bugs and are not intended to be actually used by people.

What you typically want is the latest stable (currently 4.9.11; 4.10 is not officially released yet) kernel. This is what Arch and other bleeding edge distros give you. Typically, the reason why you might want to compile custom kernels is *not* so that you can get a newer version (you rarely want that, unless you want to break your system), but rather so that you can customise the configuration (what features and drivers are enabled; by default, distros enable as much stuff as possible in order to provide a sensible config for as many users as possible, and you might not like that) or add various patches for functionality that is not available by default (BFQ, Reiser4, etc).

In some rare cases, you might want to try out an "-rc" prerelease version of a new kernel (like 4.10-rc8 right now), if you are really excited about some new features, and are willing to risk bugs/breakage, but NEVER a "-next" kernel; that is too unstable to be practical.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                YES PLEASE; I am impatiently waiting for Intel GVT-g GPU virtualisation; I really want to make use of it.

If anyone here in the forums has any info about its status (not just in kernel; qemu, etc as well), how to set it up and use it, or where to find info / guides, I would really appreciate it.

Comment

When does Ryzen support appear? 4.12? Or is it good since 4.10?

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post

Still hoping that for AMDGPU, support for Tahiti cards will be added, and enabled as part of support for SI/CI in general.
                    It already supports Tahiti, what's your issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X