Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Developing "Upspin" Framework For Naming/Sharing Files

Phoronix: Google Developing "Upspin" Framework For Naming/Sharing Files

Google today announced an experimental project called Upspin that's aiming for next-generation file-sharing in a secure manner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My first thought is that there must be an angle on this that benefits Google directly. But at least from the initial press release, I don't see what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      My first thought is that there must be an angle on this that benefits Google directly. But at least from the initial press release, I don't see what it is.
      Given the "might have business applications, but we focus on end-users" part of the blog post :
      I suspect their main benefits is to get more use-cases from the community and the stress-test (the for users part) a system for exchanging files that they have used only inside google up to know (the "might have business" applications part - google did probably use it internally).

Down the line, it my be a possible API added to Google Drive. A more standardised way to access and share files stored there, and thus an incentive to bring more users into the google platform.

Comment

I thought email was going away. Why design a shiny new protocol based on ancient email identifiers?

Comment

NSA guy: google, it's becoming painful to look at all the data in the fucking cloud. Pls fix.

GOOG: ... OK, what about a "global file system" that you can hook directly into the PRISM platform?

NSA guy: holy shitz! Would be awesome. But how can you force people into such a system?

GOOG: Trust me... People are so dumb they will do enathing by now. We'll call it a good name and wrap an HTML5 feature over it and call it GG.

NSA guy: You rock google <3

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
            NSA guy: google, it's becoming painful to look at all the data in the fucking cloud. Pls fix.

GOOG: ... OK, what about a "global file system" that you can hook directly into the PRISM platform?

NSA guy: holy shitz! Would be awesome. But how can you force people into such a system?

GOOG: Trust me... People are so dumb they will do enathing by now. We'll call it a good name and wrap an HTML5 feature over it and call it GG.

I think you're right. To be clear, Upspin uses standard public key encryption for protecting content. So as far as I understand it, if the NSA can break that they own the internet anyway.

But the security overview makes it clear that Upspin simplifies metadata collection for the NSA or other government authorities: https://upspin.io/doc/security.md

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post

Geez.. you and your sick NSA-paranoias. What about Chinese MSS & various Intelligence Directorates, Russian FSB/GRU/SVR, French DGSI/DGSE and so forth?

"Not in media" meaning they do not exist? For some reason I only see bitching about NSA while it has to pay at least lip service to the privacy of U.S citizens while others do not have to.

Average user in the US is so far below the radar horizon, you might as well give it a rest. They got hand full with foreign threats, terrorists etc and spying after millions of people of interest on abroad. Even then, most of it is conducted purely by computer processing and 99,99% of spied-upon shit is never seen by actual human eye unless something triggers alarm.
              Last edited by aht0; 01 March 2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

The Chinese and Russian "agencies"are not even close to the level of sofistication and mass spying that Western counterparts have reached (see PRISM). That's because Google, Intel, Facebook, Microsoft... are all US based companies that are very happy to help their government spies on their customers. And they themselves love to spy on every of your move.
                Thats why we use GNU/Linux in the first place!!

And anyway, I've never justified the Russian or Chinese agencies. Those are as bad as the US ones, just much less effective.
                ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                X