Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Networking Update For Linux 4.11

Phoronix: A Big Networking Update For Linux 4.11

David Miller has mailed out the rather big set of updates to the networking subsystem for the Linux 4.11 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems like the website server should uprade to linux 4.11.
    Still no ALX WOL support back. waiting for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      Seems like the website server should uprade to linux 4.11.
      Still no ALX WOL support back. waiting for ages.
      My laptops ethernet NIC uses the ALX driver and I can't get link state to switch to up when plugging in a cable that works on another machine with the same router. Spent several days trying to debug it but seems Windows drivers might have messed with it and that I can possibly fix it by reinstalling windows and turning off features like WOL or whatever the drivers did there to disable my NIC leaving D3 state. There is a macOS driver on github someone did and let me know how they fixed it but I'd have no idea how to implement it on the linux driver or who to forward it to :/

Comment

Glad to see the AQC108 driver has been added. I'm planning on purchasing the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming AM4 AMD X370 motherboard (for Ryzen) once it ships. It is the first that I know of to use this chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

My laptops ethernet NIC uses the ALX driver and I can't get link state to switch to up when plugging in a cable that works on another machine with the same router. Spent several days trying to debug it but seems Windows drivers might have messed with it and that I can possibly fix it by reinstalling windows and turning off features like WOL or whatever the drivers did there to disable my NIC leaving D3 state. There is a macOS driver on github someone did and let me know how they fixed it but I'd have no idea how to implement it on the linux driver or who to forward it to :/
          Yep the ALX driver is a nightmare. There is a patch to get WOL for ALX but i dont think it will help your case. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61651

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Yep the ALX driver is a nightmare. There is a patch to get WOL for ALX but i dont think it will help your case. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61651
            I'm going to guess not, I'm also not experienced with patching/building kernels(no idea how long the process takes). Always seemed intimidating to me ha. I guess I'll signup to the bugzilla and link them to the github macOS driver repo someones maintaining, hopefully it'll get the problem fixed, though the comments/activity in that linked issue doesn't give much hope.

Comment

Originally posted by maffblaster View Post
              Glad to see the AQC108 driver has been added. I'm planning on purchasing the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming AM4 AMD X370 motherboard (for Ryzen) once it ships. It is the first that I know of to use this chipset.
              Did you go through with your purchase? How good does the network adapter and the mainboard as a whole work under Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerii View Post

Did you go through with your purchase? How good does the network adapter and the mainboard as a whole work under Linux?
                I too bought that board, and I will be testing it (network/GPU passthrough) with torvalds.git when I get it next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerii View Post

Sorry for the long reply. Yes, I did. It is fully operational!

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

My laptops ethernet NIC uses the ALX driver and I can't get link state to switch to up when plugging in a cable that works on another machine with the same router. Spent several days trying to debug it but seems Windows drivers might have messed with it
                    It wasn't Windows. I have a Toshiba laptop that's got an ALX Ethernet in it (that never booted to Windows) and for the longest time I'd get panics 'cause the driver would just hang up the IRQ line, and when it wasn't doing that I too would have to sometimes re-insert the Ethernet cable to get it to sync up to 1GBe/FDX. I finally gave up and switched to using a USB dongle, as the laptop's a stationary server now.

Comment

Working...
                    X