Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GStreamer Now Supports Multi-Threaded Scaling/Conversion For Big Performance Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer Now Supports Multi-Threaded Scaling/Conversion For Big Performance Win

Phoronix: GStreamer Now Supports Multi-Threaded Scaling/Conversion For Big Performance Win

With the addition of over two thousand lines of code, GStreamer's video-convert code within gst-plugins-base is now properly multi-threaded...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see Rust used in GStreamer to make it more secure. Now you browse a website and a movie can load without you click on anything, and it gets played through GStreamer which attempts to parse the metadata in fragile C, its likely exploitable.

Parsers and decoders should be written in Rust. Especially for parsers of metadata.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would like to see Rust used in GStreamer to make it more secure. Now you browse a website and a movie can load without you click on anything, and it gets played through GStreamer which attempts to parse the metadata in fragile C, its likely exploitable.

Parsers and decoders should be written in Rust. Especially for parsers of metadata.
      what is stopping you?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        what is stopping you?
        @cj.witmans: I know right
        @uid313: It's open source so technically anyone can implement their own code into it. As long as it's open source you can always help in various ways... or just complain/recommend/argue and wait. All of those are fine really..

Comment

I would like to see Rust used in GStreamer to make it more secure.
          nobody is going to rewrite their software in toy language of your choice for you

Comment

I hope they limit the number of threads to physical cores and not virtual cores. Using 4 threads like that on a dual-core CPU tends to be slower and not faster.

Cool stuff though. Scaling is one of those trivially parallel jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              nobody is going to rewrite their software in toy language of your choice for you
              Actually, they are. U mad, bro?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                Actually, they are. U mad, bro?
                no u. it is not they, one guy does experiments with his toy in his free time. to make it clear: rust's compiler is written in c++. so wake me up when they rewrite llvm in rust
                Last edited by pal666; 24 February 2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Nobody's asking you to rewrite anything in C. Feel free to pick up that old, partially-implemented Rust front-end for GCC, though.

Comment

no u. it is not they, one guy does experiments with his toy in his free time. to make it clear: rust's compiler is written in c++. so wake me up when they rewrite llvm in rust
                    Really? I'm pretty sure rusts compiler was already bootstrapped and rewritten in rust.

Yep, it definitely is already bootstrapped and written in rust.

Comment

Working...
                    X