Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Nouveau With HITMAN On Linux Doesn't Get Too Far

Phoronix: Trying Nouveau With HITMAN On Linux Doesn't Get Too Far

Chances are if you are using a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card and planning to game on Linux you are using NVIDIA's official Linux driver, but in case you are trying to use the free software Nouveau driver stack, I tried running Feral's recent HITMAN game release with this open-source NVIDIA driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exactly my experience with GT630. First two seconds of desktop look promising and then system freezes/crashes.

Comment

an apitrace might help or it is a random multithreading issue, both worthwhile to investigate

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        Exactly my experience with GT630. First two seconds of desktop look promising and then system freezes/crashes.
        Posting me-too on random Internet forums doesn't help anyone. Could you please file a bug report? With an API trace, the Mesa devs should be able to fix it.

Comment

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you want the superior capabilities of Linux you sacrifice some windows games, or try to play them in wine.

If you want great performance and have extra hundreds to throw around on Linux you go nVidia proprietary.

If you want stable and open source graphics you go MESA and AMD.

Nouveau will just never take off as long as Nvidia keeps everything closed.

Each of us have decisions to make on what is our priority and best for us.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

If you want the superior capabilities of Linux you sacrifice some windows games, or try to play them in wine.

If you want great performance and have extra hundreds to throw around on Linux you go nVidia proprietary.

Right now, the graphics situation is unfortunate. However, that post makes it sound like these trade-offs inherently are necessary. This is obviously false and I don't mean to allege you of saying it, I just feel that it is necessary to state directly that this is not the case. "You can't have your cake and it eat too." is an obviously true statement but a terrible metaphor in many cases including this one because all sentences that follow are problems that could be solved. The universe does allow for strictly superior alternatives and we should strive for those, and that means we should not be content until we have a free operating system like Linux, with free (as in non-proprietary), stable graphics drivers that deliver great performance and the games that people want to play. Just felt the need to say that before a defeatist attitude arises.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

are you MS employee? Don't be so scared, when we take over you'll find something else to do, just learn bash, they already put it in your system

Comment

Originally posted by tinko View Post
                Right now, the graphics situation is unfortunate. However, that post makes it sound like these trade-offs inherently are necessary.
                Well, right now, and for the next couple of years, they almost certainly are. I don't disagree with your statements per se, but in all honesty he's right. None of the options we have are perfect right now, and they won't be for at least a while.

I'd still recomment everyone who has access to a native Windows install to take the Mesa+AMD route, which is constantly improving, otherwise Nvidia+blob might be the safer bet for now, especially when people are using distros with notoriously outdated Mesa and kernel packages.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

are you MS employee? Don't be so scared, when we take over you'll find something else to do, just learn bash, they already put it in your system
                  The GNU hairball bash sure is not on your system by default if its a proper UNIX. I would say you are better off learning ksh since it is POSIX and all but considering Red Hat is wiping their ass with POSIX in their quest to turn Linux into Windows lite bring on the shellshock hairball.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

The GNU hairball bash is actually not found by default on a proper POSIX UNIX. With Red Hat turning Linux into Windows lite now though I guess you can safely ignore POSIX.

Comment

Working...
                    X