Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh RadeonSI Mesa Git Gaming Benchmarks On 7 Linux Desktops

Phoronix: Fresh RadeonSI Mesa Git Gaming Benchmarks On 7 Linux Desktops

When posting last week our Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Radeon benchmarks and Windows vs. Linux NVIDIA Pascal benchmarks and then the Windows vs. Linux relative performance analysis, as usual, it didn't take long for some to argue that the Linux gaming performance is actually faster but "Unity 7 is slower" and the similar FUD that is usually waged whenever looking at cross-platform performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Small enough differences that features and usability would outweigh any difference in FPS for most people choosing their DE. Pretty much what I'd hoped for, I'd hate to not be able to pick a my favorite DE for performance reasons.

Comment

Some games do not ask to disable compositing. In my experience, Feral and VP ports all behave like they should, but Unity Engine games do not, and some oddballs, like American Truck Simulator and his European cousin.

Also, I loved to see Xfce losing most of the tests to the bloated KDE...

Comment

It would be useful to know how compositing was configured. In real life I think most people do not want to see tearing, so they will not play in the same conditions as the benchmark was done at least for some configurations (OpenBox without compositing, for example).

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          LXDE and Openbox that are running without a compositor had saw the greatet performance

Comment

Michael, I have a blocked comment.

Also, can I suggest a new form of benchmark? In a few weeks you will test the new Ryzen, but a lot of people (myself included) are asking themselves if worth to buy a 8 core CPU for gaming.

So, it could be interesting to do a benchmark called "how many cores you need" kind of test. Disabling cores in the BIOS, you can see how many cores is needed to achieve the best performance.

This is a rare type of test to be found in the internet, and with the upcoming Ryzen a "affordable" high performance 8 core CPU is coming, so it would be nice to see if worth take it or wait for the 6 and 4 core ones, for gaming purposes.

The tests can be done now with that 8 core, 4 Ghz Xeon of yours.
            Last edited by M@GOid; 24 February 2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I guess for Fury even XWayland is fast enough even if it cut half the speed here and there

Of course i have no doubt that Openbox is fastest, just look at both GL and VK DOTA2 results.
              Last edited by dungeon; 24 February 2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Good to see, though not surprising. I remember even years ago using KDE4 and not suffering for gaming performance.

Heck I run Gnome Wayland now. Though it would probably differ from game to game, I benched Tomb Raider on Xorg and then (X)Wayland in Gnome. There was only about 1 fps less on average in Wayland, certainly not enough to worry me.

Comment

Do these benchmarks run in full-screen-mode, or in a window?

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Of course i have no doubt that Openbox is fastest, just look at both GL and VK DOTA2 results.
                  It does seem there is something that Openbox does better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                    Good to see, though not surprising. I remember even years ago using KDE4 and not suffering for gaming performance.
                    Well, KDE (especially early KDE4) always had the reputation to be "slow" or unsuitable for gaming, which is probably why this discussion even exists - but that's no longer the case as the test shows.

Comment

Working...
                    X