Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Performance Appears To Improve With Linux 4.11

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Performance Appears To Improve With Linux 4.11

A few days ago I posted some results of surprise performance improvements for a Radeon RX 470 when testing the DRM-Next code queued for Linux 4.11. I've now tested that kernel on more systems and can confirm at least benefits more widespread for RADV's Vulkan performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Deux Ex: MD performance boosts

Comment

So, I have a question: How big is the overhead right now?

We have Nvidia blob vs. Open Source AMD and in the AMD field, we have several options to choose from which all-in-all show ~50% to 0% performance gap to the Nvidia drivers per-shader performance depending on the games (and how poorly they were ported). What I'd like to see is a performance equalization on the driver side, so that I can finally invite my friends over (and show them some tutorials on how to get their games running on Linux) so that I can ditch Windows. Some of them have Nvidia GPUs, but a lot of them consider AMD for their next GPU IF (again, a big IF) the AMD GPUs are competitive on Linux.

They WANT Linux, they crave for it, I just need some non-overly-overhead AMD-drivers and we can kick butt.

Oh, and btw: Thanks to all the Devs pushing the technology - I'm just a humble user who wants to game on Linux. :-)

Comment

rx 480 and r9 fury seem flipped on the last page
        that or there is a very rare bug

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
          So, I have a question: How big is the overhead right now?

We have Nvidia blob vs. Open Source AMD and in the AMD field, we have several options to choose from which all-in-all show ~50% to 0% performance gap to the Nvidia drivers per-shader performance depending on the games (and how poorly they were ported). What I'd like to see is a performance equalization on the driver side, so that I can finally invite my friends over (and show them some tutorials on how to get their games running on Linux) so that I can ditch Windows. Some of them have Nvidia GPUs, but a lot of them consider AMD for their next GPU IF (again, a big IF) the AMD GPUs are competitive on Linux.

They WANT Linux, they crave for it, I just need some non-overly-overhead AMD-drivers and we can kick butt.

Oh, and btw: Thanks to all the Devs pushing the technology - I'm just a humble user who wants to game on Linux. :-)
          Are you asking about Vulkan or in general?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            rx 480 and r9 fury seem flipped on the last page
            that or there is a very rare bug
            The Vulkan and OpenGL runs were in different result files and happened to start with RX 480 when doing the GL runs and the R9 Fury when doing the Vulkan runs, forgot to run reorder-result-file prior to uploading so they would be in same order, the labels are correct just the order swap between GL and VK
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The Vulkan and OpenGL runs were in different result files and happened to start with RX 480 when doing the GL runs and the R9 Fury when doing the Vulkan runs, forgot to run reorder-result-file prior to uploading so they would be in same order, the labels are correct just the order swap between GL and VK
              then the r9 fury has a clear performance bug

marek, any thoughts?

Comment

Great work! Both optimizing it, and detecting the change.

The smaller improvements with 480 OpenGL are important as well, as such improvements add up (or multiply) over time.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

then the r9 fury has a clear performance bug

marek, any thoughts?
                  Marek doesn't work on the open source vulkan driver. You'd have to ask Dave or Bas.

Comment

Hmm ya something wrong with the R9 fury perforrmance, should always outpace the rx 480.

Comment

Working...
                    X