Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UKSM Is Still Around For Data Deduplication Of The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: UKSM Is Still Around For Data Deduplication Of The Linux Kernel

Several years back we wrote about Ultra Kernel Samepage Merging (UKSM) for data de-duplication within the Linux kernel for transparently scanning all application memory and de-duping it where possible. While the original developer is no longer active, a new developer has been maintaining the work and continues to support it on the latest Linux kernel releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has Torvalds ever commented on this? I think it would be good to take a break in kernel development to fix bugs and get rid of the duplications.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
      Has Torvalds ever commented on this? I think it would be good to take a break in kernel development to fix bugs and get rid of the duplications.
      I don't think this code does what you think it does.

Comment

It seems to be data deduplication for what's in memory, not for Linux's code (;

Comment

UKSM is made to get programs to share some of their duplicated memory areas to save memory. It is has nothing to do with the Linux source code.

Comment

And it also opens an avenue for all sorts of side-channel attacks, memory deduplication is a perfect example of a false good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

UKSM is made to get programs to share some of their duplicated memory areas to save memory. It is has nothing to do with the Linux source code.
              I it has, how can it not bee when it path the kernel?

Comment

We will have benchmark for see about efficacy of UKMS in recent kernel?

Comment

The information in this article is partly not true. UKSM is still maintained by its original author, Nai Xia, it is not abandoned, and patches get updates on the original site. Also, according to Nai's information, 4.10 patch is on the way with some extra fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
                    And it also opens an avenue for all sorts of side-channel attacks, memory deduplication is a perfect example of a false good idea.
                    For shared systems I would agree - but if you control the host and the stuff running on it, why not? might be a good way to reduce memory footprint

Comment

Working...
                    X