Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.14 Scheduled For Early June Release

Phoronix: Wayland 1.14 Scheduled For Early June Release

Wayland 1.13 was released this week along with Weston 2.0. In announcing v1.13, Bryce Harrington also laid out plans for Wayland 1.14...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was wondering, when (roughly) is Wayland supposed to be ready and when does it obsolete X? I don't know much about the status of Wayland adoption and also couldn't find a roadmap / release schedule.

Comment

Wayland is ready and stable for years, its other software that lacks support for Wayland. Currently Wayland works very well as default in Fedora 25 with Gnome 3. Although most applications still use Xorg through Xwayland.
      Last edited by srakitnican; 26 February 2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
        Wayland is ready and stable for years, its other software that lacks support for Wayland. Currently Wayland works very well as default in Fedora 25 with Gnome 3. Although most applications still use Xorg through Xwayland.
        Not true, Wayland still lacks certain capabilities that some software requires. Like support for third party screen recording, global keybind shortcuts and so on.

I personally can't use Wayland before it allows for recording windows / areas / screens with third-party programs. Also need keybind shortcuts for things like muting my microphone in TS3 / Mumble.

Comment

Well, to sum up the situation when it comes to window managers or desktop environments, I read a nice blog post from Olav Vitters about it here

"One of the criticisms towards Wayland is the lack of a Window Manager concept. This to have an option of a different window manager behaviour/experience without needing to write a whole compositor as well. On LWN, daniels confirmed that it’ll become easier with time thanks to libweston.

Quoting daniels (first line/paragraph he’s quoting me):
          > Not exactly sure what this allows, but I assume that most of the compositor logic is in this libweston, thereby reducing the complexity creating a different Wayland compositor.

Correct. The idea is to let people write window managers and desktop environments without having to worry about the details of DRM/KMS/GBM, EGL, dmabuf, the Wayland protocol itself, and whatever other plumbing. It’s not there yet, but hopefully in the next year or so it’ll become a really solid viable alternative."

Comment

In Weston I would like to see support for snapping windows to edge of the screen when it gets close to the edge, and also window positioning using hotkeys such as WinKey+Left and WinKey+Right.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

Not true, Wayland still lacks certain capabilities that some software requires. Like support for third party screen recording, global keybind shortcuts and so on.

I personally can't use Wayland before it allows for recording windows / areas / screens with third-party programs. Also need keybind shortcuts for things like muting my microphone in TS3 / Mumble.
              Not only that, Firefox may to cause a "personal Wayland readiness" regression for me because there are several extensions I rely on which might require additions/modifications to the WebExtensions APIs and, for some of them, the only way to work around the upcoming removal of XUL extension support in Firefox 57 may be to write something which filters and conditionally rewrites the input events Firefox sees... something Wayland disallows for obvious security-related reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                I was wondering, when (roughly) is Wayland supposed to be ready and when does it obsolete X? I don't know much about the status of Wayland adoption and also couldn't find a roadmap / release schedule.
                Wayland will never Obsolete X, it'll be around for years , Wayland isnt Ready for Prime Time yet, an i dont think it will untill 1.15 or beyond IMO

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

"(20161229) As of November 2016 there is an ongoing discussion how to implement screen recording. Currently the compositors implement at least basic functionality."

So there seems to be basic functionality in place at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

"(20161229) As of November 2016 there is an ongoing discussion how to implement screen recording. Currently the compositors implement at least basic functionality."

So there seems to be basic functionality in place at least.
                    Yeah, but that's the compositors handling the screen recording by themselves. I don't want that, they'll always do an awful job. I need 3rd party screen recording support, OBS for example so I can stream.

Comment

Working...
                    X