GNU Linux-Libre 4.10: GPU Drivers Remain The Most Frequent Offenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-Libre 4.10: GPU Drivers Remain The Most Frequent Offenders

Phoronix: GNU Linux-Libre 4.10: GPU Drivers Remain The Most Frequent Offenders

The GNU Linux-libre 4.10 kernel was released last weekend just after the official Linux 4.10 kernel release while I hadn't noticed the de-blobbed kernel release until today. The Linux-libre folks continue to criticize the open-source GPU DRM drivers as being offenders for using binary blob firmware/microcode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GPU drivers are most frequent offenders even without that blob firmwares question

GPU drivers produces most of the people noise about any OS anyway

Comment

I thought these were the folks who tried to make the drivers work without the blobs - seems like they're just making the drivers useless instead. Would there be much point in using this kernel if you used any hardware that requires microcode?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I thought these were the folks who tried to make the drivers work without the blobs - seems like they're just making the drivers useless instead. Would there be much point in using this kernel if you used any hardware that requires microcode?
        Last time i tried it on AMD AM1 platfrom it was fine, i lose AMD CPU microcode update and i lose r8169 firmware update - both are just recommended but not required. You might happen to need these but you might not, that just depends as some hardware revisions might just came with latest firmwares so you don't need really these or your hardware just might not be affected by the changes so it does not require it really.

Only major problem are GPU drivers again, there if you miss even essential firmwares it makes things really unusable

I even tried to do funny thing like loading fglrx on that gnu kernel and guess what... it does not complained abut that - everything worked

There is no difference there to proper linux kernel, other than basically non-free firmware/microcode loading infrastucture is disabled.
        Last edited by dungeon; 26 February 2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Last time i tried it on AMD AM1 platfrom it was fine, i lose AMD CPU microcode update and i lose r8169 firmware update - both are just recommended but not required. You might happen to need these but you might not, that just depends as some hardware revisions might just came with latest firmwares so you don't need really these or your hardware just might not be affected by the changes so it does not require it really.

Only major problem are GPU drivers again, there if you miss even essential firmwares it makes things really unusable

I even tried to do funny thing like loading fglrx on that gnu kernel and guess what... it does not complained abut that - everything worked

There is no difference there to proper linux kernel, other than basically non-free firmware/microcode loading infrastucture is disabled.
          I have blobs for my intel graphics, amdgpu graphics, bluetooth, ath10k wifi and the advanced features of my creative HDA soundcard - only the later is optional

Comment

Intel Skylake+ (for now) can work without GuC/HuC firmware blobs for example, but obviously for like AMDGPU/Radeon there is no suitable workaround for running well without the firmware blobs... They basically strip out the firmware blob support and from there your mileage may vary. So yeah, with most newer hardware the Linux-libre kernel will only bork your system.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have blobs for my intel graphics, amdgpu graphics, bluetooth, ath10k wifi and the advanced features of my creative HDA soundcard - only the later is optional
              Yeah linux-libre is not for anyone of course, it is for these who like to be sure there is no non-free involved there at all... from that point it is nice

Debian kernels and default installation methods also behave like that, with only difference that there loading is disabled by default but remain optional, on the other side with these Libre-kernels it is force disabled and there is no option.
              Last edited by dungeon; 26 February 2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

These open source maniacs are funny. If you're fascist about freedom, it's NOT freedom at all.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  These open source maniacs are funny. If you're fascist about freedom, it's NOT freedom at all.
                  While I reject the unnecessary godwin, I agree with the message. Freedom is the liberty to decide if I want to use a binary blob or not. Taking away options is restriction. Holding the user hostage to force him to fight for your way satirizes the words freedom and liberty.

Overcoming poor solutions can be done by working towards better solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
                    Freedom is the liberty to decide if I want to use a binary blob or not.
                    So how you decide that you don't want it if blob is required so you really have no that option in the first place? Basically in some cases that is pushed in the exactly same way these guys do the opposite

I totally understand their point, as if someone gives you something what works only with a blob that is not an option anymore or with no other options that is same crap so you are better to not have it
                    Last edited by dungeon; 27 February 2017, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X