SteamVR On Linux Currently Runs Well On At Least A GeForce GTX 1070/1080

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamVR On Linux Currently Runs Well On At Least A GeForce GTX 1070/1080

Phoronix: SteamVR On Linux Currently Runs Well On At Least A GeForce GTX 1070/1080

I've been testing out SteamVR on Linux with the HTC Vive the past few days. From my time spent and trying out various graphics cards with Destinations, Dota 2, and Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter, my impressions is that for this Linux VR beta at least a GeForce GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 is really needed for good performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope you are enjoying it mate - it seems like you needed a good game playing break!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      I hope you are enjoying it mate - it seems like you needed a good game playing break!
      It's been an interesting experience. After a while it gives headaches though, so not like hours of gaming...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        It's been an interesting experience. After a while it gives headaches though, so not like hours of gaming...
        In my experience, headaches are usually because the lenses aren't focused properly, or, because the games don't position the "eyes" correctly.
        Nausea, meanwhile, is my bane.

Comment

It's not really usable on radv, too much stutter and bad performance. The next SteamVR update will hopefully bring considerable improvements.

Interleaved reprojection is broken on radv and they haven't figured out yet why...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            In my experience, headaches are usually because the lenses aren't focused properly, or, because the games don't position the "eyes" correctly.
            Nausea, meanwhile, is my bane.
            And I just usually get a headache a day at least anyhow, so rather prone to getting headaches in VR, but yeah still playing around with the lens focus.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              It's not really usable on radv, too much stutter and bad performance. The next SteamVR update will hopefully bring considerable improvements.
              Apart from steamvr the radv vulkan driver itself needs to become fast.

Comment

Awesome! It's good to see that VR is at least somewhat functional on Linux. Now if only it didn't take so much horsepower to run...

Comment

IMHE (in my humble experience) VR sickness appears in game where you move in the virtual environment, such as Serious Sam VR or DiRT Rally. I could play for hours to games where you are in a fixed position.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    Apart from steamvr the radv vulkan driver itself needs to become fast.
                    Plagman says Serious Sam is playable with the upcoming SteamVR update.

radv still has its performance troubles, but it should be well enough for the simpler things already.

Comment

Working...
                    X