Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Begins Prepping For Ryzen, Subpixel Rendering

Phoronix: Haiku OS Begins Prepping For Ryzen, Subpixel Rendering

The open-source Haiku OS inspired by BeOS has made much progress this month on several fronts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Subpixel rendering? Just as HiDPI screen made that obsolete…

Comment

Nice to see that Haiku is alive and well. I wonder whether there could be a good market for it as a cloud desktop, e.g. something like ChromeOS?

Comment

No link to the Microsoft subpixel patents?
        Not even their names or patent number?
        Not a very complete article.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          No link to the Microsoft subpixel patents?
          Not even their names or patent number?
          Not a very complete article.
          Remoting sub-pixel defined text. Text is remoted at sub-pixel precision in a computing environment including a terminal server and a terminal client. At a terminal server text definitions are generated. The text definitions include character definitions defining character boundaries with colors so as to be able to define character boundaries using sub-pixel precision by defining colors at the boundaries so as to make use of sub-pixel color components of LCD pixels when the characters are rendered on an LCD screen. At the terminal server glyphs of individual characters are generated. The glyphs include the character definitions including definitions of colored character boundaries. At the terminal server, the glyphs are sent to a terminal client. At the terminal client, the glyphs are blended with background color information and rendered on an LCD screen.

It calls on prior art by Matshusita/Panasonic.

Comment

Yeah, both subpixel rendering and font hinting are obsolete now that we have high density displays. We don't need anti-aliasing much either.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
              Yeah, both subpixel rendering and font hinting are obsolete now that we have high density displays. We don't need anti-aliasing much either.
              Unless you're still using 1080p or less displays :P I've upgraded my machine a few times or completely replaced it but haven't had the budget for new monitors in all these years ha. Got one 1920x1080 and another 1680x1050 using DVI(one has a DVI-to-DP adapter).One is from 2010 or so I think.

Comment

We don't need anti-aliasing much either.
                Until we can build displays which implement the sinc pixel reconstruction function in hardware, we will always need anti-aliasing.

Comment

Yeah, both subpixel rendering and font hinting are obsolete now that we have high density displays.
                  And exactly how many people are using hi-dpi displays? Exactly.

I mean: I'm using a 1920x1080 display (laptop) and this is a 2016 model. So it's modern system with no hi-dpi screen. Same goes for my dad. And my mum uses 1366x768. In fact, a lot of people still use 1920x1080 or lower. Either because they're using an older PC/laptop or because they've bought low-end model (a lot of low-end models, even in 2017, are still using <1920x1080 or at most 1920x1080 displays and they will be around for years to come, either the displays or at least the current sold computers will see long-time use).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And exactly how many people are using hi-dpi displays? Exactly.

I mean: I'm using a 1920x1080 display (laptop) and this is a 2016 model. So it's modern system with no hi-dpi screen. Same goes for my dad. And my mum uses 1366x768. In fact, a lot of people still use 1920x1080 or lower. Either because they're using an older PC/laptop or because they've bought low-end model (a lot of low-end models, even in 2017, are still using <1920x1080 or at most 1920x1080 displays and they will be around for years to come, either the displays or at least the current sold computers will see long-time use).
                    If you go to Best Buy you see more 1920*1080 than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X