Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Test Suite 7.0 M5 Released

Phoronix: Phoronix Test Suite 7.0 M5 Released

The latest and last planned development release of Phoronix Test Suite 7.0-Ringsaker is now available for your cross-platform, open-source benchmarking needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael,
    support for using BZIP2 compression when uploading test result XML data to OpenBenchmarking.org
    Is there any special reason you're not using JSON instead of XML?
    I think it's smaller than XML, maybe you don't even need to compress that much the result.

As a web developer, for me it looks smaller easier to read than XML, especially if it's properly indented. I try to use it whenever I can. Firefox extension, Firebug displays it nice.
    I found a comparison example here how easy it's to read by humans (middle page, after the blue ribbon):
    Cloud Elements is the leading API integration platform for SaaS app providers and the digital enterprise. Turn integration into your competitive advantage.

I heard once that even for machines it's faster to parse, but I'm not sure about that, I haven't done any tests myself.
    I'm sorry I can't help you with this, I would like to contribute back, but I can barely have time these days to read some news here. Maybe sometime in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Hi Michael,

Is there any special reason you're not using JSON instead of XML?
      I think it's smaller than XML, maybe you don't even need to compress that much the result.

As a web developer, for me it looks smaller easier to read than XML, especially if it's properly indented. I try to use it whenever I can. Firefox extension, Firebug displays it nice.
      I found a comparison example here how easy it's to read by humans (middle page, after the blue ribbon):
      Cloud Elements is the leading API integration platform for SaaS app providers and the digital enterprise. Turn integration into your competitive advantage.

I heard once that even for machines it's faster to parse, but I'm not sure about that, I haven't done any tests myself.
      I'm sorry I can't help you with this, I would like to contribute back, but I can barely have time these days to read some news here. Maybe sometime in the future.
      I use XML because that's what I started writing the result file specification and test profile specification in ~9 years ago. So without breaking compatibility for older clients, I keep it as XML.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I use XML because that's what I started writing the result file specification and test profile specification in ~9 years ago. So without breaking compatibility for older clients, I keep it as XML.
        I understand.
        Thank you very much for replying!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I understand.
          Thank you very much for replying!
          Yep, no problem. Had I started over I probably would have used JSON or INI based configuration, but since XML was used from the start, that's being maintained. The BZIP2 compression part would have been added even to the JSON though as I added it since for some tests when doing per-frame latency line graphs and running many different GPU tests, I was hitting cases of result files being ~6MB of raw text... due to all the per-frame info, so compression was needed better than the existing zlib support.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X