Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Open-Source Accelerated Support Comes To Nouveau For GTX 1050/1060/1070/1080

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Open-Source Accelerated Support Comes To Nouveau For GTX 1050/1060/1070/1080

Phoronix: Initial Open-Source Accelerated Support Comes To Nouveau For GTX 1050/1060/1070/1080

The patches are now out there for having initial accelerated support in the Nouveau DRM driver for the GeForce GTX 1050/1060/1070/1080 series "Pascal" graphics cards. The signed firmware is being released and will allow these consumer graphics cards to now have hardware-accelerated support via the open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been trying to understand how the drivers work in general lately. Was this support required to be able to boot into a DE using these GPU with nouveau? Or would glamor be used with generic modesetting driver? If so where does the xf86-video-nouveau(DDX driver?) come into this? I think I've heard that's used if nouveau.modeset=0 or nomodeset is used as the DDX driver is user space, not relying on kms?

These xf86-video-*/DDX drivers are only for X to use(when it detects or is configured to load the module) right? Wayland only works with the ones in the kernel, are those the ones referred to as DRM drivers? Like i915 for Intel vs xf86-video-intel? Or are those different as I see advice to remove xf86-video-intel so the generic kernel modesetting(kms?) driver is used(i915.modeset=1 required)?

Comment

Linux community should just boycott nVidia, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
        Linux community should just boycott nVidia, problem solved.
        Linux community should have done that 10 years ago when nvidia was providing the only video driver that actually worked on a desktop. Because, you know, it wasn't a Mesa driver

What Nvidia is doing here is using an open API to build their driver. The driver isn't Mesa compliant and is not open source. It's also not included by default in any distribution. How would you go about boycotting that?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          How would you go about boycotting that?
          As simple as stopping buying Nvidia products.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

By boycott I meant not buying nvidia cards. Has nothing to do with democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Linux community should have done that 10 years ago when nvidia was providing the only video driver that actually worked on a desktop. Because, you know, it wasn't a Mesa driver

What Nvidia is doing here is using an open API to build their driver. The driver isn't Mesa compliant and is not open source. It's also not included by default in any distribution. How would you go about boycotting that?
              Total bullshit, my Matrox cards worked awesome more than a decade ago, later my Ati R200 or what it was worked equally awesome when the Weather channel sponsored the development.

Could not even run this Nvidia binary only junk on my PowerPC or SPARC, ... Linus was right to show them the finger.

Comment

Finally... We've been waiting g for the Pascal firmware release for long enough that I was starting to wonder if it would actually happen before the next gen obsoleted these cards.

Glad that my Radeon 7850 is most likely getting a Vega or Polaris replacement this year. AMD's open source strategy has made the last few upgrades a container for me

Comment

Al the hardware that doesn't have a free kernel driver should be banned. No one speak about a graphics driver. Imagine if you buy an Intel processor and turbo bust doesn't work because of a missing driver. Then Intel tells you "fix it your self".

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

As simple as stopping buying Nvidia products.
                    Looking at the market share Linux has on desktops, they would barely notice if everyone stopped buying their card tomorrow.

artivision There is a "free kernel driver" for Nvidia hardware: nouveau. It covers just the basics, but it exists.

Comment

Working...
                    X