Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id Tech 4 / Doom 3 Is Being Rewritten In Ada

Phoronix: id Tech 4 / Doom 3 Is Being Rewritten In Ada

For fans of the Ada programming language, id Tech 4 / Doom 3 is being rewritten by an open-source enthusiast in this structured, statically-typed language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what could be better than rewrite of obsolete engine in obsolete language?

Comment

It's not for me to dictate people's free time activities. Though every engagement in open source is welcome this project might not be considered very helpful by everyone as long as there are many unfinished projects that don't have well-working clones like ioquake3 etc. in this case already.

What I would really love to hear is something like "We are working on a GTA V port with the Vulkan API", that would be very amazing, especially as long as it doesn't even work with Wine. It can also benefit from Vulkan while Quake III and Vulkan are more like a single-case study without any practical sense.

Comment

Interesting. It's good that some people have such hobbies, it keeps them away from the troubles that come from drinking, gambling, and carousing with morally questionable members of the appropriate sex.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          What would be worse is doing nothing.

Comment

Why not modern c++ 11 or 14 (or 17). Why not implement Vulkan, boooh. Everyone has their own unique passion.

Comment

This article made me double check the calendar. Nope, it's not April first, yet.

Comment

I wouldnt call it obsolete, there is a niche that ADA still fills well.

As for the rewrite i have to wonder if the process has uncovered many bugs in the original engines code base. Coosing to rewrite something in ADA or a modern language such as Rust or Swift has that potential.

Comment

considering that Ada is regularly beating modern languages in terms of speed, readability, and especially memory usage i would conclude that you have no clue about anything

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian....php?test=nbody
                  http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian....st=binarytrees

now go learn something
                  Last edited by gens; 05 March 2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Ada has a lot of type-safety and strictness. It has built-in checks against buffer overflows, dangling pointers and the like. Maybe it could be useful for newer applications like IoT etc, where security is proving to be a serious headache.

For comparison, the life-support system on the International Space Station is written in Ada. Would you trust your life to anything else?

Comment

Working...
                    X