Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Changes Coming To KDE Plasma 5.10

Phoronix: Some Of The Changes Coming To KDE Plasma 5.10

KDE developer Kai Uwe has provided a look at some of the new features coming for Plasma 5.10, including some screenshots...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least multi-monitor fixes aren't making the headlines anymore.

Comment

"folder view will be the default desktop contianment"

I am glad. One of the first changes I do after a clean KDE install. A reasonable default that will help newcomers feel familiar with most of the other environments. KDE 5 is progressing in good direction, however it still has many defaults that are non intuitive and make me think that they were set like so just to be "different" from the others. Simple things like icons being placed horizontally instead of vertically, or the resizing of widgets from the bottom right (when the first thing that you will do is probably to put a widget at the top left corner of your empty desktop, let alone that in most cases you are used to resize windows from the top left dragging the bottom right corner), or the close widget button at the bottom of the handle bar.
      Last edited by zoomblab; 07 March 2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I don't like KDE.
        It suffers from feature creep. Everything has too many toolbars, the toolbars have too many toolbar buttons, and there are too many menus which have too many menu entries.
        Too many options are presented.
        It takes too many clicks to get things done.

I think GNOME is much better.

Comment

contianment?

Comment

Kwin is a sack of shit, fix the damn bugs before you do anything else. Seriously losing patience and considering Mate or Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
              Kwin is a sack of shit, fix the damn bugs before you do anything else. Seriously losing patience and considering Mate or Gnome.
              I "considered" i3 a long time ago and never looked back. Seriously, these so-called all-size-fits-all desktop environment are full of bugs, performance hogs, and extremely bloated ( in terms of resources utilization and user experience ).

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

I "considered" i3 a long time ago and never looked back. Seriously, these so-called all-size-fits-all desktop environment are full of bugs, performance hogs, and extremely bloated ( in terms of resources utilization and user experience ).
                I don't know, on a quad-core CPU and a $200+ GPU I kinda like a DE that doesn't remind me of Windows. 3.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Did you report it?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I don't like KDE.
                    It suffers from feature creep. Everything has too many toolbars, the toolbars have too many toolbar buttons, and there are too many menus which have too many menu entries.
                    Too many options are presented.
                    It takes too many clicks to get things done.

I think GNOME is much better.
                    To each his own.

I can't stand GNOME because I go in with a very particular view of what I want my desktop to be and GNOME would require me to maintain a source patchset to force it into that shape. KDE provides a nice middle-ground where I can accomplish what I want without using a "configuration file" written in a turing-complete programming language.

Comment

Working...
                    X