Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriot Torch: Trying A $30 SSD On Linux

Phoronix: Patriot Torch: Trying A $30 SSD On Linux

Recently I ran out of spare SSDs and needed one for one of my test systems where the I/O storage capacity or performance wasn't important, so I decided to try out the Patriot Torch 60GB SSD that can be had for about $33 USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems a bit expensive per GB really

Comment

Sandisk Plus is only 44$ for 120Gb...

Comment

I have a couple of these as well. It's more than enough to put a couple distros on a system, especially if your media is mainly stored on NAS.

Comment

What I'm curious about is how that measures up against a 7200 RPM HDD. Pick some common WD or Seagate drive and test that!

Could be useful metrics for people who are in the town of "I just want literally anything better than an HDD"

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Not when you look at smaller SSDs and consider the basic economics of the things. An SSD needs to have quite a few components regardless of how much space it has, so the manufacturing costs are always going to be "essentials + the actual memory".

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
              What I'm curious about is how that measures up against a 7200 RPM HDD. Pick some common WD or Seagate drive and test that!

Could be useful metrics for people who are in the town of "I just want literally anything better than an HDD"
              I would be surprised if it isn't at least on par. Any half-modern SSD is usually better than a HDD, especially on small file transfers.

Comment

Michael, One request - when you put out the benchmark results, can you put the type of test carried out - example: Random Read, Random Write etc more prominently in the images? For instance, in this article you are displaying this string "Flexible IO Tester v2.1.13" prominently while the actual test - Random Read/Write etc is in such tiny font that one needs to really search for it. FYI, I am using a 1920x1080 display. Suggestion: It may be better to place the name of the test - Random Read/Write etc where you are currently displaying "Flexible IO Tester v2.1.13".

Comment

What is the power drawn for these tests?
                  I'm wondering because it could be, that I need a new SSD for a laptop, in the next days.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    Sometimes it's just the absolute price that matters. I also have a rather tiny SSD in my home server (30GB or so, an older Sandisk model that was relatively cheap), any more than that would have been a waste of money, even with more GB/$.

Comment

Working...
                    X