Radeon Linux 4.11 + Mesa 17.1-dev vs. NVIDIA 378.13 Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Linux 4.11 + Mesa 17.1-dev vs. NVIDIA 378.13 Graphics Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Linux 4.11 + Mesa 17.1-dev vs. NVIDIA 378.13 Graphics Performance

With Mesa recently landing their RadeonSI GLSL on-disk shader cache and enabling it by default plus other recent optimizations, plus in kernel-space there now being Linux 4.11-rc1 and that showing potential improvements, here are some fresh benchmarks of AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With all the Mesa / driver work since it's release the RX480 really seems like a compelling card under Linux.

Comment

In half a year, the progression made by open source driver is by today almost unbelievable. the RX480 stands in most test where it should be in an ideal world with fair competition. In this ideal world the RX480 should be around the perf(or even better ) of GTX970, which seems to become the case! Michael, do you think at the end of your benchmarks that you could make a small recap of overall gaming performances, to have some sort of global ranking for each card. I know it's complicated with every game being optimized differently by devs and drivers creators. Thx again for your daily hard work.

Comment

Some results are very good!

Comment

I'm a little disappointed with the results. I was expecting Team Red to place a little better with the shader cache enabled, which was the only reason for reading more than just the first page of this article.

Originally posted by jnrivers View Post
          With all the Mesa / driver work since it's release the RX480 really seems like a compelling card under Linux.
          The RX480 does seem to be very good value, and obviously there's still a lot of room for improvement as it's performing quite a bit stronger on Windows at the moment.

There's a lot of speculation about how the actual compute capabilities of the RX480 are better than the 1060, and I have a lot of faith in the RadeonSI team... it's just speculation but down the road it may overtake Team Green's competitive offering when it ceases to be in NVidia's best interest to keep optimising drivers for what has become an older piece of hardware. So I feel that what is good value today will just keep getting better. But that's just my rampant AMD fanboi optimism speaking lol. Chances are very good that by the time that happens I will have moved on with different hardware, as has happened several times already in the past.

Comment

Amazing results, thanks for the banchmarks!

What follows might be perceived as negative, I don't mean it that way. Hopefully it can be constructive, not the typical distro war (and boring, same arguments year after year).
            This was run on xserver 1.18.4? Since modesetting is used, it would have been nice to see xserver 1.19 instead.

I know that this has been mentioned many times, but it would be nice to have something else than Ubuntu as the main benchmarking distro.

Arch, Fedora 25 and Debian Testing all have xserver 1.19 already, to name a few well-known and widely used distros. Personally, I use Debian, but I'd be fine with you using Fedora instead of Ubuntu.

If there are technical reasons to prefer one over the other, I'd love be educated as to what the differences are.

Comment

I'm really impressed by how much the drivers have improved. My next computer will have a Ryzen CPU + a RX 580 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                I'm a little disappointed with the results. I was expecting Team Red to place a little better with the shader cache enabled, which was the only reason for reading more than just the first page of this article.

The RX480 does seem to be very good value, and obviously there's still a lot of room for improvement as it's performing quite a bit stronger on Windows at the moment.

There's a lot of speculation about how the actual compute capabilities of the RX480 are better than the 1060, and I have a lot of faith in the RadeonSI team... it's just speculation but down the road it may overtake Team Green's competitive offering when it ceases to be in NVidia's best interest to keep optimising drivers for what has become an older piece of hardware. So I feel that what is good value today will just keep getting better. But that's just my rampant AMD fanboi optimism speaking lol. Chances are very good that by the time that happens I will have moved on with different hardware, as has happened several times already in the past.
                Well i think you are being too pessimistic, the rx480 is pretty much competitive with the 97/80(outside 2 games we know have issues in the driver) using open source drivers compared to the almighty nVidia BLOB(not the AMD BLOB that always get trounced by the green BLOB).

So as i see it, the performance improvement is actually monstruos compared to 6 months ago even and remember many of the AAA games benched are very likely using ZDO(those extensions are newer than OpenGL 4.5, so is still WIP) that are not supported yet on RadeonSI(like bindless_textures) and from what i see in patchworks site super Marek is already takling those 2 games performance issues

Comment

Besides the enigma that is Deus Ex, I've been having a good gaming experience on my R9 380X since I got it a month and a half ago. Late kernels, AMDGPU and Mesa 17 etc.

I'm well aware it might not compare to fps in many games I could get in Windows or some of the Nvidia cards, but I just see it as hopeful potential that can be unlocked later. At the moment @1080p res I'm playing most games just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                    Besides the enigma that is Deus Ex, I've been having a good gaming experience on my R9 380X since I got it a month and a half ago. Late kernels, AMDGPU and Mesa 17 etc.

I'm well aware it might not compare to fps in many games I could get in Windows or some of the Nvidia cards, but I just see it as hopeful potential that can be unlocked later. At the moment @1080p res I'm playing most games just fine.
                    It would say it's not always fair to just compare Linux and Windows drivers, because there are other variables affecting the results, not just driver quality, but also the quality of Linux ports of games, which have to use a D3D->GL translation layer, which makes it more difficult to compete with Windows. (though some Linux game publishers are very good at getting close to Windows performance)

Comment

Working...
                    X