Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 53 Beta Drops Pre-P4/Opteron On Linux, New Compact Themes

Phoronix: Firefox 53 Beta Drops Pre-P4/Opteron On Linux, New Compact Themes

With Firefox 52 having sailed earlier this week, Mozilla has pushed Firefox 53.0 into beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'd like to see Mozilla Default to the Compact Light Theme .https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

Comment

Does dropping support mean the processors won't work, or just that they don't officially provide support for them?

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
        Does dropping support mean the processors won't work, or just that they don't officially provide support for them?
        I think they would assume SSE2 is available because P4 introduced SSE2.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
          I guess it is just for MozilIa's 32bit builds of Firefox, where it means that CPU which support SSE2 instruction is required:

It is just that for non technically minded people, you need to say something else with what they are familiar with like "Pentium 4 or newer" required, etc...
          Last edited by dungeon; 09 March 2017, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It means that CPU which support SSE2 instruction is required:

It is just that for non technically minded people, you need to say something else with what they are familiar with like "Pentium 4 or newer" required, etc...
            Thanks for the bug report. From that, the only thing changing is the default build config for upstream binaries.

If you build it from source yourself, or your distro decides to use different compiler flags, it will still support older cpus just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Thanks for the bug report. From that, the only thing changing is the default build config for upstream binaries.

If you build it from source yourself, or your distro decides to use different compiler flags, it will still support older cpus just fine.
              Yeah that, on source level no support has been removed and nothing there was ever removed as you can continue...

This is just to show people how they officially started to care less about these cases
              Last edited by dungeon; 09 March 2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                This is just to show people how they officially started to care less about these cases
                Though notably, they've made the change immediately after putting out an extended-support release, so any affected users will still have a maintained version (i.e. security updates) for at least another year...

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I was already worried, but if it's just the binary one that req. SSE2 or something it should be okay. So I can still compile a recent browser for the old machines (not that those needed bells and whistles, but some webpages just don't seem to work any longer with not-super-recent-browsers -> web developer are crazy; and of course one would want security fixes. And even LTS-releases will be unsupported one day)
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    i'd like to see Mozilla Default to the Compact Light Theme .https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
                    And I'd like to see the compact dark theme as default. Now Mozilla, go fix our requests.

Comment

Working...
                    X