Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Prep AMDGPU Patches For New GPUs

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Prep AMDGPU Patches For New GPUs

In the early hours of today AMD posted a set of 23 AMDGPU patches as "prep patches for new ASICs", which given the timing, is presumably prepping for the Radeon RX VEGA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting. Polaris 12 was already in, afair, so this might actually path paving for Vega. I also wonder how the whole DAL complex will end up. And 4.12 might be really the kernel to implement all necessities for Vega if we want to have HW launch day support.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Interesting. Polaris 12 was already in, afair, so this might actually path paving for Vega. I also wonder how the whole DAL complex will end up. And 4.12 might be really the kernel to implement all necessities for Vega if we want to have HW launch day support.
      Yes, Polaris 12 was added in 4.10 - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-12-4.10-Fixes
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The big contingency though on the AMD Vega support is needing to land the AMDGPU DC/DAL display code, as AMD developers have previously indicated their new hardware will only be making use of the new display code paths
        The thing about plans is that they're not always set in stone and can in fact be subject to change. If I'm not mistaken the original plan to have Vega use nothing but the new DC/DAL code paths was brought to light before David Airlie went and threw a monkey wrench into their original plans for merging DAL/DC into AMDGPU and by extension the kernel itself.

If I were them I wouldn't count on David not throwing another money wrench at an attempt to merge DC/DAL into the 4.12 kernel.

Comment

Could someone try to sum up to someone not following all the twists and turns of various components' development the expected situation with AMD and their open-source Linux graphics stack wrt. Vega?

How close to fully functional (performance, features, power management) will it be around Vega's launch or not too long afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
            Could someone try to sum up to someone not following all the twists and turns of various components' development the expected situation with AMD and their open-source Linux graphics stack wrt. Vega?

How close to fully functional (performance, features, power management) will it be around Vega's launch or not too long afterwards?
            That's yet to be figured out publicly since they have yet to post any Vega patches themselves, indicate if they will go for any non-DC support or if they think DC is indeed ready for 4.12, etc.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not familiar with the associated alphabet soup, but the lack of any Vega patches implies no educated guesses can be made at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                if we want to have HW launch day support.
                then you have to use amd kernel. it already has everything

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                  there is no detailed information, but vega will have release day support(this does not mean vanilla kernel)

Comment

Prepping work to get Vega running day 1 or shortly after is good news. I'm planning to upgrade with Vega. While I may not buy Vega on day 1 (cause prices stabilize within a week or two), I'd be happy to see vanilla kernel support. Maybe until then, a couple of Ryzen hiccups have also been solved, thus making it a good opportunity for people to get a "whole" AMD setup for a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X