NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux?

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux?

The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is NVIDIA's new high-end gamer graphics card as a step-up from the previous GTX 1080 flagship. The GTX 1080 Ti is getting ready for release by retailers and, thankfully, NVIDIA did mail out a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti for Linux testing at Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, please test on Ryzen and compare with Kaby Lake.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Don't test it! Boycott Nvidia so they'll start writing open drivers

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Even better option indeed.
        ## VGA ##

Comment

Come on! Linux people have so many "hackers" among them. If open drivers were that important, someone would have stolen them already.

Comment

In other words: The AMD fansquad has already confirmed that Vega won't be that good of a product, so they'd prefer to just pretend that Nvidia doesn't exist.
            Then they'll turn around whine about how "competition is good!" when making yet another argument to buy sub-standard AMD products based on an abstract idea instead of actually rewarding good performance.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

In other words: The AMD fansquad has already confirmed that Vega won't be that good of a product, so they'd prefer to just pretend that Nvidia doesn't exist.
              Then they'll turn around whine about how "competition is good!" when making yet another argument to buy sub-standard AMD products based on an abstract idea instead of actually rewarding good performance.
              There are numerous ways of judging the value of a particular GPU. Although speed and raw performance numbers are by far the most compelling for most people, there are still those of us who find active participation in the development of an open driver tremendously important.

Edit: wording

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post

There are numerous ways of judging the value of a particular GPU. Although speed and raw performance numbers are by far the most compelling for most people, there are still those of us who find active participation in the development of an open driver tremendously important.
                Exactly. I don't say Nvidia cards are not good, you could still make an awesome bottle opener with them. Just don't pretend I will actually use them as video cards because no FOSS drivers means no party for me.
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post

Edit: wording
                  Let's not forget "if you want feature X, you need driver Y". That's also valuable to some.
                  But you're right, different people have different priorities.

Comment

Personally, I am more interested in more VR results.

Comment

Working...
                    X