NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is NVIDIA's newest, most powerful graphics card for gamers not only on Windows but also under Linux. I only received the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti this morning so here are my initial Linux performance figures for this new high-end Pascal graphics card compared to other NVIDIA and AMD Radeon graphics cards. Linux VR tests, CUDA/OpenCL compute benchmarks, and additional GeForce GTX 1080 Ti results will be published in the days ahead when having more time to spend with this graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia is shit. I switched from GeForce GTX 660 Ti to Radeon RX 480 OC and the difference is huge. Not just performance and Open Source drivers which is obvious, but everything is much more smooth. Firefox on Linux and Windows, 2D acceleration on Linux, Witcher 3 running on full HD and uber settings (there was terrible tearing on medium quality and 60 FPS with GeForce). Keep the good work AMD and my next CPU will be Ryzen (even though I'm very happy owner of i7).

Comment

Where are the classic benchmarks? I want to see if the GTX 1080 Ti beats the Fury in Triangle, which I really really hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Where are the classic benchmarks? I want to see if the GTX 1080 Ti beats the Fury in Triangle, which I really really hope not.
        Will have more OGL results later. Only had this card for a few hours so far today.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ohhh michael got a review copy of the 1080-Ti, fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Nvidia is shit. I switched from GeForce GTX 660 Ti to Radeon RX 480 OC and the difference is huge. Not just performance and Open Source drivers which is obvious, but everything is much more smooth. Firefox on Linux and Windows, 2D acceleration on Linux, Witcher 3 running on full HD and uber settings (there was terrible tearing on medium quality and 60 FPS with GeForce). Keep the good work AMD and my next CPU will be Ryzen (even though I'm very happy owner of i7).
            "I upgraded my graphics card to one that's higher end and 4 years newer, which made my graphics faster". No shit.

Comment

Intel is shit too. I upgraded from a pentium 3 to a R7 1800X recently and the difference is huge. Now I also have smooth video playback! Not sure how intel could make such mediocre hardware!

Comment

Also, Nvidia is saying there is ongoing work on improving Vulkan performance, and postet a graph suggesting that Vulkan driver performance has increased from ~15% slower than OpenGL in June 2016, to ~30% faster than OpenGL now (probably with the driver just released on Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Will have more OGL results later. Only had this card for a few hours so far today.
                  Michael, will you do some gaming benchmarks with Ryzen + Nvidia vs Intel + Nvidia?

You've only done it with AMDGPU for now...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance
                    How totally unexpected, really.

Comment

Working...
                    X