Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New /dev/random Is Still Being Worked On

Phoronix: A New /dev/random Is Still Being Worked On

Stephan Müller has announced the newest version of his patches for implementing a new /dev/random implementation he calls the Linux Random Number Generator, or LRNG for short...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This needs peer review. There is significant interest from people to subvert and weaken the (CS)PRNG.
    Agencies also have experts in kleptocryptography experts who may suggest designs which are designed to look benign and innocuous but cleverly subvert it.
    It is also a very difficult field so it is tricky to get it right.

Comment

A random-number-generator-writer’s work is never done...

Comment

They really ought to steal OpenBSD's arc4random properly.

Comment

No replies on the kernel mailing list. Interesting. Frankly I always love people who think they can create randomness out of thin air. Oooh... wait a minute... air... air is pretty random. Hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
            No replies on the kernel mailing list. Interesting. Frankly I always love people who think they can create randomness out of thin air. Oooh... wait a minute... air... air is pretty random. Hmmm....
            I love the idea of someone attacking entropy pool through blowing air at a machine

Comment

Wow, that was the first comment ever I've had that got unapproved. Now I no longer feel special

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This needs peer review. There is significant interest from people to subvert and weaken the (CS)PRNG.
                Agencies also have experts in kleptocryptography experts who may suggest designs which are designed to look benign and innocuous but cleverly subvert it.
                It is also a very difficult field so it is tricky to get it right.
                Of course. The results should be verified by a third party and the code should be vetted but one should remember to never let perfect be the enemy of good, even in these situations where perfect is the only acceptable long term goal. The current implementation does have serious issues in modern environments due to most of sources of entropy simply is missing on many systems today.

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                This is a very advanced subject and even people that can make good comments on it needs time to read, understand, test and make sure that things are what they appear to be.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  I love the idea of someone attacking entropy pool through blowing air at a machine
                  If someone manages to control an air stream well-enough to fool entropy generators using half-modern sensors, attacking entropy pools will be the far far least dangerous thing they can do with that technology.

Comment

vbullettin is on a spree, I got blocked too (post above this)

Comment

Working...
                    X