Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.04 Preparing To Land X.Org Server 1.19.2 + Mesa 17.0.1

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.04 Preparing To Land X.Org Server 1.19.2 + Mesa 17.0.1

Some big Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" updates will be coming down the pipe next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For X.Org Server this means threaded input, PRIME synchronization, XWayland pointer confinement and warping,.
    For Mesa this means going from OpenGL 3.3 to 4.5 on Intel Core "Haswell" (4th generation) CPUs.

Comment

So, Zesty Zapus missed Cioppino and Maeuntang and go stright to Clam Chowder all around Fearless Coyote
      Last edited by dungeon; 10 March 2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Nice thing about NVIDIA binary blobs: I don't have to care much whether I have the latest Mesa or not. I get the updates independent from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Nice thing about NVIDIA binary blobs: I don't have to care much whether I have the latest Mesa or not. I get the updates independent from it.
          Obviously, instead you have to wait for Nvidia to release their drivers, it's not like that's better. You could update mesa every time someone makes a commit if you wanted to, Nvidia often leaves you unable to upgrade Xorg or your kernel for 1 month+ because you need to wait for a driver release from Nvidia that supports it.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post

Obviously, instead you have to wait for Nvidia to release their drivers, it's not like that's better. You could update mesa every time someone makes a commit if you wanted to, Nvidia often leaves you unable to upgrade Xorg or your kernel for 1 month+ because you need to wait for a driver release from Nvidia that supports it.
            Really? I'm running Ubuntu Mate 17.04 with Kernel 4.10. But this is my first experience with NVIDIA for the first time for a few days now.
            Anyway: To have a blob driver allows me to stay on a LTS distribution and I still can have performance boosts with a new blob driver.

Comment

I hope these package updates fix the problem I'm seeing where a full screen terminal or terminal on the left-side results in the screen image "vibrating" intensely. I see it on a GTX 1070, and it happens with the terminal is filled with text. I have no idea if it's a problem with compiz or X.Org or the kernel or the binary driver or anything else. It's definitely the strangest problem I've seen after using desktop Linux for 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                Anyway: To have a blob driver allows me to stay on a LTS distribution and I still can have performance boosts with a new blob driver.
                There is newer Mesa for LTS too.

Comment

A question: Will Xorg 1.19 be included in the 16.04 HWE stack updates? Namely xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                    A question: Will Xorg 1.19 be included in the 16.04 HWE stack updates? Namely xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04.
                    yes, in the next one August/September Ubuntu 16.04.3

Comment

Working...
                    X