Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up A Better VR Space For SteamVR Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Setting Up A Better VR Space For SteamVR Linux Gaming

When receiving the HTC Vive last month for testing the roll-out of Valve's SteamVR beta for Linux, going into it I hadn't realized how immersive the experience was at that point nor all the cables involved. I had setup the HTC Vive VR system in the "basement server room" to deal with the mess of cables, but after using this VR headset for a few days I quickly realized I needed a better area for engaging with virtual reality. After making a custom-built desk and moving where I have the HTC Vive "play room" configured, the experience is much better.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm impressed! I like when it's clean and tidy as well. I'm really looking forward to when we can get rid of more cables behind the computers. I'm one of those people still using Cat-6 cables instead of Wi-Fi (since I have 1 GB internet and can reach 920 Mbit/s when downloading from Steam) because of the stability and speed. I also really don't like cordless mice (or keyboard, even though that doesn't matter as much), so I have lots of cables
    Combine that with the girlfriend also having a desktop computer, and an interest for Hi-Fi and guitar playing, there are lots and lots of cables everywhere. I manage to hide them pretty well though, behind sofas, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      I'm impressed! I like when it's clean and tidy as well. I'm really looking forward to when we can get rid of more cables behind the computers. I'm one of those people still using Cat-6 cables instead of Wi-Fi (since I have 1 GB internet and can reach 920 Mbit/s when downloading from Steam) because of the stability and speed. I also really don't like cordless mice (or keyboard, even though that doesn't matter as much), so I have lots of cables
      Combine that with the girlfriend also having a desktop computer, and an interest for Hi-Fi and guitar playing, there are lots and lots of cables everywhere. I manage to hide them pretty well though, behind sofas, etc.
      Unfortunately I didn't add any CAT6 to that wall when building the basement :/ I've been contemplating ways to get coax (for MoCA) or CAT6 to that wall, but so far no luck. I could do Coax/MoCA if I can find a good ball shooter to get a guide line shot above the ceiling, but haven't found what I want yet, so for now the VR setup is using 802.11ac.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Unfortunately I didn't add any CAT6 to that wall when building the basement :/ I've been contemplating ways to get coax (for MoCA) or CAT6 to that wall, but so far no luck. I could do Coax/MoCA if I can find a good ball shooter to get a guide line shot above the ceiling, but haven't found what I want yet, so for now the VR setup is using 802.11ac.
        We live in a fairly small apartment (60 m2), but when we refurbished last year, and the year before, I actually rented a machine that could cut concrete, so I put Cat-6 in the walls. The connector to the fiber came in by the door, and I wanted it on the other side of the apartment (where the computers are), so I cut my way through 10 meter of concrete wall, and added 2 new sockets so I could connect to it from both the bedroom and the living-room. My only HUGE mistake was that I used patch cable instead of installation cable.. Fucking idiot. I got it working, but I had a lot of problems getting the connectors to connect properly.

Comment

SteamVR Linux Setuo

Comment

As a dualbooter with a Vive myself, I have two critiques:

1. Those base stations are WAY too low for optical sync. If you're standing, they're going to be constantly desyncing and blowing up your tracking. They need to be above your head; the ideal height is above your arm's reach with controller in-hand. With residential ceiling heights, you often can't reach that ideal height, so it's not a terrible idea to mount them to the ceiling. I'm planning a new space myself and that's what I'll be doing. If that's not really practical, break out the sync cable.

2. The position of the second base station suggests the play area is only a small fraction of the room, that rectangle between the desk and what I guess to be a closet. That will be problematic for something that needs room-scale, like Munch.

I'm really looking forward to when we can get rid of more cables behind the computers.
            Don't buy a Rift. ducks

Comment

So cool to see you join the cult. Pretty soon you'll be spending most of your life in VR and even writing Phoronix from there. You should create a virtual UI to PTS and then you'll never have to leave.

Comment

Nice build.

I'm really looking forward to when we can get rid of more cables behind the computers.
                I'm pretty sure the next gen of PC HMDs will be wireless. There are a fair number of wireless vendors going after this market, some touting very low latency figures.

Plus, Oculus and Intel have already demo'd self-contained VR devices (with capabilities more akin to Google Daydream). But I don't really count those.

Comment

(since I have 1 GB internet and can reach 920 Mbit/s when downloading from Steam)
                  Arghhhhhhhhh.... the envy is killing me

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    SteamVR Linux Setuo
                    Michael, is there an option to disable single-paging? I don't want to log out of Phoronix due to Spanish ads which make me so mad.

Comment

Working...
                    X