Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel To Increase Engagement With FreeBSD, Makes $250k Donation

Phoronix: Intel To Increase Engagement With FreeBSD, Makes $250k Donation

Intel is going to more actively engage with the FreeBSD project and they've also made a hefty donation to the FreeBSD Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is a good move. FreeBSD is a key system for those machines with semi-customized processors, for example PS4.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
      this is a good move. FreeBSD is a key system for those machines with semi-customized processors, for example PS4.
      I bet this situation comes out as a result of Linux beeing GPL2.. I'd prefer those guys supporting a linux based os for their consoles rather than a bsd and I don't see anything else than the licence to stop them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by by.peroux View Post

I bet this situation comes out as a result of Linux beeing GPL2.. I'd prefer those guys supporting a linux based os for their consoles rather than a bsd and I don't see anything else than the licence to stop them to do so.
        I couldn't possibly care less. The enemies are Mac OS and Windows and that spyware known as Android. Anything to blunt those three forces I'm happy with.

Comment

Yeah, but then their development teams would spend forever arguing about which Linux distribution is better and which one they should use. FreeBSD is a whole OS and a much easier choice to make in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
            Yeah, but then their development teams would spend forever arguing about which Linux distribution is better and which one they should use. FreeBSD is a whole OS and a much easier choice to make in that regard.
            Yeah, because OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD whateverthevfuckBSD are not "whole OSes".

Comment

I bet this situation comes out as a result of Linux beeing GPL2..
              No, it comes out as a result of big-ish Intel customers running FreeBSD on their systems for other reasons and asking nicely for more support to Intel.

Comment

Dear Michael,

Is it your ISP or your configuration that takes a bath with consistent traffic hitting the site. We use linode.com and it flies.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Dear Michael,

Is it your ISP or your configuration that takes a bath with consistent traffic hitting the site. We use linode.com and it flies.
                  ??? I don't host Phoronix.com servers at my house, I use HiVelocity data centers.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

$250k and people praise Intel? They write off billions. The least they could do is toss in $20 Million for all platforms annually they leverage and contribute to. The cost of technically qualified pools of future development talent pays that back in spades.

Comment

Working...
                    X